Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default NCATT, AET... certification.

I am looking at getting this certification. My question is... any tips on studying for this? Any study guides/info? Doubt there is anything as good as prep stuff for the A&P...

I found this, just wondering if you guys had any more resources or tips to look up to give an idea of how far into a topic they go...

http://ncatt.org/uploads/File/2009%2...dy%20Guide.pdf

I think, I might have enough knowledge to take and pass it, talked with an instructor that dealt with this at another school, he thinks its possible to pass with the classes I have passed. I will be going through an Avionics line maintenance class in teh future, and get FCC certified, not sure if it goes as in depth as that or not.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

http:///www.ncatt.org/aet-resources.php

This should provide you with some help.
    The NCATT AET certification is more indepth than the FCC GROL.

If you are looking to go into avionics in the future, most shops prefer the AET certification over the FCC cert which is really pretty outdated.
    Newton's Law of Aircraft Maintenance--The more times you ask "Are you done yet"--The Longer it will take me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by aeromech View Post
    If you are looking to go into avionics in the future, most shops prefer the AET certification over the FCC cert which is really pretty outdated.
    Just wondering, what is your source of "most shops"? I have been working in simulation for the past 10 years, so I'm kind of out of the loop on this AET program.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I should have clarified, most avionics shops.
    Most of the avionics shops that are AEA (Aircraft Electronics Association) affiliated prefer their Technicians to have the NCATT certification.

A lot of the FBO's just require thier avionics personnel to have the FCC certification.

The NCATT AET certification apperar to be the way of the future for avionics technicians.

I prefer being a wrench turner and let the "sparkies" handle the avionics. (If you let the smoke out of the box--its broke)
    Newton's Law of Aircraft Maintenance--The more times you ask "Are you done yet"--The Longer it will take me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I agree from what I saw, AET is more wnated out there and FCC is outdated.

I am sure my (ALM)Avionic Line Maintenance class, will more then cover it. So I have been told. They base most of their curriculum around what companies in the industry want in technicians. In fact looking it over it. I am pretty confident, I might be able to pass(no perfect score) based on the training I have recieved thus far. Going through my A&P, I finished my last electrical class recently. Was just thinking about going for it while I finish up my Powerplant.

Some stuff I know inside and out, some, I woudl do ok, good if I refreshed on it, some never gone over, but could research a little.

I wish I could take some sort of Practice test to see I am looking at.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
    I agree from what I saw, AET is more wnated out there and FCC is outdated.
    The FCC test was never intended to show that you could do Avionics, but as a "standard" to weed out people, or at least that is my experience. I know that some airlines would not hire you unless you had the FCC, which by law does not cover anything you can do with a repairmen's certificate.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
    I wish I could take some sort of Practice test to see I am looking at.
    I agree, a quick 20 question Practice test would be nice, instead of a $XX.XX one.

aeromech, thanks for the feed back.

Looks like it's time to crack the text books again.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Based on articles that I have read and people that I have talked to that have this certification---It is not a easy test.

The FCC test is required to publish their question pool so it is simple to memorize the correct answers.

The NCATT AET exam is closed book (question pool not published.) Therefore in order to pass the exam you actually have to have knowledge of the material. You have to know your stuff--this makes it a better exam of what you actually know, not what you have just read.

I agree they should have a practice exam avaliable.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Is that the actual test questions? Im gonna print it and see what I score at work

Seems basic enough

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I don't mind its not like the FAA, and FCC stuff. But like said wish there was a 20-50 question test I can try just to get an idea.

I mean for the most part I went through these two books in school

http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Elect...604622&sr=8-10

http://www.amazon.com/Aircraft-Instr...604744&sr=1-16

Didn't really go through the ASA or Jep books, electicity sections since the ones above pretty much waaaay superseded what they covered. I would need refreshing, but at the same time I don't want to spend hours studying the wrong thing.

Maybe after xmas I will really start studying the other books. Then take a gamble with the $90 and see if I pass.
    Last edited by MustangEater82; 12-23-2009 at 05:51 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I did e-mail Lee Brewster and this is her answer
    "We do not have a practice test. However if you look at the resources page at www.ncatt.org there are some questions in the power points. Also if you look at the FAA written exam the questions in Basic Electricity and Airframe Electric should help. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast