Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Tool recommendations...

Hello!
    Ive been busting my balls getting my A&P the past two years, I graduated this spring with honors and was the first person in my class to get both tickets and actual A&P job. I got my Level I NDI in Eddy Current this summer and currently in Avionics class during the day. I just got hired on at TIMCO here in Greensboro, NC (GSO) and starting on the 22nd...and while I have a good portion of the tools on the entry level list I have a few questions about some of them. I apologize if this is in the wrong section, please move if needed.

First...what is considered to be a "explosion proof flashlight"? I have a few MagLite's I can use if they qualify....and I can get a good deal on LED camping headlamps and Streamlight's. Any recommendations here?

Ford Wrenches.....what would be the best size to start with? ATS has them in about 4 different sizes....should I get the middle size and go from there? They dont list anything specific really.

Ill be working on large Boeing's and I know there will be other things to buy....so any recommendations to start with would be much appericated!

Thanks again.....Im looking forward to getting started!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Flashlight wait to see what everyone else has, but stream ight I think is sealed and an awesome light, but a tank certified light, they are stupid expensive and not that great, so ask when you get there.
    Ford wrenches, the 8 and 12 inchers should work fine.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Angle wrenches up to at least 1 1/8"…
    Smooth jawed Knipex pliers…
    2 1/8" socket for IDG filters…
    Good breaker bar and a ratcheting adapter for breaker bar (1/2 drive)
    Will make engine work a little easier
    Couple things off the top of my head...
    Aviation junkie!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would get at least a 15" or 18" ford wrench to give you plenty of leverage. I would also look at buying a Johnson bar as you will be pull a ton of panels as the new gut on the block.

like this one: http://www.autotoolworld.com/product...Fa5AMgodDBAAlw

Also look at something like this http://www.skygeek.com/screwgrab.htm...FUNgMgodInIArw
    Last edited by jetmechabq; 09-06-2014 at 08:36 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I've been using a streamlight in wet tanks (avgas and jet a)... Still haven't blown anything up... I never seen anyone actually using explosion proof flashlights even though you're really suppose to.

As for the tools in general... Most guys at Timco hardly have shit. So if you showed up with a harborfreight box filled with random cheap shit you'd fit right in.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the recommendations!

I'm trying to keep the cost down and not bring in a bunch of my nice Snap-On stuff if I can help it....so Im shopping for quality priced stuff. The Sears here sucks for tool selection so Im really looking hard at Kobalt stuff at Lowes, then getting remainder/specialty stuff st Matco (student discount still) and ATS. I have a AA maglite and I may do a LED conversion to it, plus I have a couple small Streamlights if needed....Im also going to order a headlamp as well.

Thanks again everyone......any and all recommendations are appreciated!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I use the Fenix PD35 and I like it. Everyone else uses Streamlights with no problems. I think that's just a safety issue that has to be stated but we also use cordless drills when removing fuel panels. A good headlamp is a must. The snapon 30/60 wrenches are a life saver (or anything like it). Good selection of long skinny needle nose, small picks, ratcheting screw driver will save your wrist (of course good quality bits too).

Husky makes good quality tools if Craftsman isn't around. I believe they're made by Matco.

I just started my A&P career with an FBO a month ago so I'm learning the tips and tricks as well. We work on Pilatus's, Lear's, King Air's, Citations, Challenger's, Falcon's, and Hawker's- business jets.
    Last edited by Will9465; 09-07-2014 at 02:27 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

First off, Timco is not strict at all on whether or not you meet the minimum requirements on the tool list. I have seen people come in with nothing even close to the necessary tooling to work on a dam bicycle, much less an airplane. As long as you have your 1/4 drive stuff and a decent set of wrenches you will be fine.

As far as the explosion proof flashlight, the Timco facility in Macon, Ga keeps them in stores and they are available to check out as you need them. So, I'm guessing since we have them here, then you guys more than likely have them too. They are pretty strict on using them in fuel tanks as well, but I wouldn't bother getting one. I'm pretty sure you already have more tools than 80% of the people who work at a Timco facility so I wouldn't stress about it too much.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Will9465 View Post
    I use the Fenix PD35 and I like it. Everyone else uses Streamlights with no problems. I think that's just a safety issue that has to be stated but we also use cordless drills when removing fuel panels. A good headlamp is a must. The snapon 30/60 wrenches are a life saver (or anything like it). Good selection of long skinny needle nose, small picks, ratcheting screw driver will save your wrist (of course good quality bits too).

Husky makes good quality tools if Craftsman isn't around. I believe they're made by Matco.

I just started my A&P career with an FBO a month ago so I'm learning the tips and tricks as well. We work on Pilatus's, Lear's, King Air's, Citations, Challenger's, Falcon's, and Hawker's- business jets.
    I can assure you they're not made by Matco.

Honestly I've seen guys get away with more or less nothing. Some people don't value quality tools and honestly when you get away from the small GA stuff and the older biz jet stuff you don't need the nice, quality tools anymore. No more cramp spaces, bolts in crazy f-in places, not enough room to get anything other than a Matco or snapon ratchet to click... All that goes away on most of the bigger, newer stuff.

Listen to Justin, he's a stand in lead or whatever at Timco (forgot what you told me on the phone). Congrats on employee of the month btw Justin. When you gonna quit and come contract?
    Last edited by brettboat; 09-07-2014 at 11:21 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I bought a box today! I found it at Home Depot on the sales floor and it was damaged! The top box has a big dent in it and some paint is gone. I didnt care.....i was after the lower box! I got the whole thing for $450, minus the $100 Ive already sold the top for to a friend of mine for $100..... It has the drawer configuration I was really wanting with the long top drawer and square one on the bottom for a tool bag. Its a little bigger than I was looking at buying, but I rather have the extra room now.....never know where this industry will take me!

Name:  20140909_134858_resized.jpg
Views: 844
Size:  104.0 KB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast