Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

How do you like that box after having it a few months?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by madmax52 View Post
    How do you like that box after having it a few months?
    They're right on par with the harbor freight boxes. Casters are crappy and wear out quick, frames flex and get tweaked, slides fail, drawers fail, spotwelds fail... It's a $500 box

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Id never own one, but I see guys with these boxes seem quite happy.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Id never own one, but I see guys with these boxes seem quite happy.
    It's a throw away, I was happy with my harbor freight box because it worked. Nothing wrong with them, but just remember it's made in China junk. Not a Snapon/MAC/MATCO

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I wouldn't quite call the hf roll cabs junk. With price considered they are the best bang for the buck. Sure tool truck boxes are better but at how much difference in cost? Also given the lack of quality choices between HF and tool trucks, HF is a good deal. I don't personally own one since I work line but there are probably 10 or so floating around the hangar. I have yet to hear any complaints from the guys who own them. Any more just about anything you buy that doesn't come off a truck is similar quality to HF and it is a great box for the money especially considering new out of school A&Ps pay. If, more like when, I end up back in the hanger I will pick up a HF box with no regrets.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Mac and Matco went Chinese years ago. That's when I stopped buying Mac, Matco always been low rent in my opinion. I don't have one Matco tool in any of my sets

S

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Mac and Matco went Chinese years ago. That's when I stopped buying Mac, Matco always been low rent in my opinion. I don't have one Matco tool in any of my sets

S
    Nah Steve, they're still made here. The Mac boxes use casters and a few other things made overseas. But they're still mostly all American made and assembled here. I love my MAC box. Hell I just picked up a MAC service cart... No regrets. Don't get me wrong, love my Snapon stuff. But ain't nothing wrong with MAC or MATCO. The new MATCO ratchets are awesome dude. I put the 3/8 drive flex head ratchet in a vice and put a 6 foot cheater pipe on it (I wanted to warranty the handle so I had to break it)... All that damn thing did was spread the vise. That sold me right there on MATCO ratchets, all 88 teeth still ratcheted perfectly, flex head fork didn't spread... Things are F'in stout.

Last edited by brettboat; 06-18-2015 at 11:08 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I'm actually glad to see Mac boxes still made here. Their hand tools are made elsewhere. But cool deal. And I have heard of the Matco zero clearance ratchets, only thing that kept me from buying one, was the name LOL

Ill look into this but good post man

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm actually glad to see Mac boxes still made here. Their hand tools are made elsewhere. But cool deal. And I have heard of the Matco zero clearance ratchets, only thing that kept me from buying one, was the name LOL

Ill look into this but good post man

Steve
    Yes and no. Most are made here still, a few random odds and ends on the Mac truck are not made here anymore. But your standard stuff... Wrenches, sockets, etc... Still made here.

And alot of stuff like tap and die sets, pin punches, chisels, etc... I think are all made by the same company. Matco, Mac and snapon... All that stuff looks exactly the same.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12