Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by MC5Wes View Post
    Always buy the tools you need for the job. No need to buy something just in case. Every job you have will need different tools. Buy them when you need them. For example don't go crazy buying exotic sheet metal tools. You may be doing line work and not need them. Have the basics in case something comes up.
    When I was buying the Jiffy Modular Drill System I said over & over again "you do NOT need this," but the crib had one & it was SO cool I just HAD to plunk down a couple grand for the motor & 3 attachments.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I don't have to shadow my box thank god as it is over stuffed with tools. On Hex keys I have the individual, fold up set both ball and with out. I have both in socket sets 1/4 and 3/8 drive to include a homemade 9/16 for King Air wing bolts. I also have the craftsman T handle set which are nice for removing the bolts on wheels for tire changes. Then there are the apex bits. I think I have to many to list, but I do know they get used often enough that you need to have some on hand.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_S View Post
    When I was buying the Jiffy Modular Drill System I said over & over again "you do NOT need this," but the crib had one & it was SO cool I just HAD to plunk down a couple grand for the motor & 3 attachments.
    We all buy them used dirt cheap. Only the really crazy heads that no one manages to steal and resell on ebay do we buy them. And it's normally dotco, not that jiffy junk

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

What is the quality of these?
    We got a smaller set as an off brand and it seemed really nice

http://www.enfasco.com/jiffy-drilling-tools.php

Quote Originally Posted by daclark View Post
    I don't have to shadow my box thank god as it is over stuffed with tools. On Hex keys I have the individual, fold up set both ball and with out. I have both in socket sets 1/4 and 3/8 drive to include a homemade 9/16 for King Air wing bolts. I also have the craftsman T handle set which are nice for removing the bolts on wheels for tire changes. Then there are the apex bits. I think I have to many to list, but I do know they get used often enough that you need to have some on hand.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    What is the quality of these?
    We got a smaller set as an off brand and it seemed really nice

http://www.enfasco.com/jiffy-drilling-tools.php
    I have never used Jiffy tools, everything I have is Cooper tools (Dotco). From what I hear the quality sucks and they wear out quick under heavy use. I don't do much in the way of sheet metal anymore. The last big project I did was fabricating pylons for a GII and GIII re-engine program. We had them installed on a GIIB and had the engineering and data ready to go to the FAA. The guy financing the program pulled the plug. What a waste of money. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00174.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	4169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00178.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	4170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00180.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	4171

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default Looks like a fun project!

I have never used Jiffy tools, everything I have is Cooper tools (Dotco). From what I hear the quality sucks and they wear out quick under heavy use. I don't do much in the way of sheet metal anymore. The last big project I did was fabricating pylons for a GII and GIII re-engine program. We had them installed on a GIIB and had the engineering and data ready to go to the FAA. The guy financing the program pulled the plug. What a waste of money. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00174.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	179.6 KB 
ID:	4169Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00178.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	4170Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CAM00180.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	188.0 KB 
ID:	4171
    Ahhh I miss working projects !

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Ahhh I miss working projects !

Steve
    This one was. The engines were Foker F100 RR Tays. We had both engines mounted and running. Pylons engineered, engine gear boxes modified to remove the backup hydraulic pump and to take a generator. Harnesses built to adapt the engine to the air frame. There was a year of my life involved in this one. There were only 3 of us on this one and a engineer. The guy had 11 GII and GIII aircraft that were were to modify. Shame he pulled the plug when we were so close submitting to the FAA. The market on aircraft came down and it defeated the purpose of saving these old air frames.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

That's amazing, yea some planes are not worth the time sadly enough.

Thing I never got, speaking of mods, is when Learjet phased out the CJ610, why didn't they go to the CF700 like Falcon instead of the Garret Engines?
    Same freaking engine, only adding a fan never made sense to me.

Steve

This one was. The engines were Foker F100 RR Tays. We had both engines mounted and running. Pylons engineered, engine gear boxes modified to remove the backup hydraulic pump and to take a generator. Harnesses built to adapt the engine to the air frame. There was a year of my life involved in this one. There were only 3 of us on this one and a engineer. The guy had 11 GII and GIII aircraft that were were to modify. Shame he pulled the plug when we were so close submitting to the FAA. The market on aircraft came down and it defeated the purpose of saving these old air frames.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That's amazing, yea some planes are not worth the time sadly enough.

Thing I never got, speaking of mods, is when Learjet phased out the CJ610, why didn't they go to the CF700 like Falcon instead of the Garret Engines?
    Same freaking engine, only adding a fan never made sense to me.

Steve
    As with everything, it probably had to do with cost and again noise. There are more than 100 Falcon 20's out there with the Garret.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Good point, CF700's are some thunderous loud engines

lol

As with everything, it probably had to do with cost and again noise. There are more than 100 Falcon 20's out there with the Garret.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast