Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Keep it up brother.

This field has been good to a lot of us.

Look at it as a craft, as much pressure to treat it like a simple install and sign cycle, be a craftsman. It will pay off in the long and short run.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by teamwuds View Post
    Forgot my Log-In info so haven't stopped by here in awhile, finally found my password cheat sheet I keep and had it all written down.

Since my last post here I have completed Airframe, took and passed the written, and took and passed the Oral & Practical for General and Airframe. I have in my pocket a Temporary License for Airframe. Been waiting for about 70 days now to receive my permanent license from the FAA, maybe I'll get it for Christmas! That'd be nice!

Right now I am almost 1/2 way through Powerplant, the end is getting nearer every day. Just like with Airframe, I plan to do the Oral & Practical for Powerplant as immediately as possible upon completing the course. So, all is well, everything is on track, and if it stays that way, this should all be behind me by the end of April 2017!

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for sharing this. I'm 34, about to be 35 and feel the same way. I've always been mechanically inclined since I was a little kid and wished that I had pursued my A&P a long time ago. I spend my time off working on Jeeps and the saying holds true, “Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life." I'm in the process of enrolling into a trade school for my A&P. I have also noticed some of the negativity on the forum, but you'll find that everywhere. Some people have made it a habit and carry it around with them. I've worked in different professions, been self employed and have always had the naysayers tell me I couldn't do it, shouldn't do it, or how difficult it's going to be. I've learned to keep those folks out of my life because the only way to achieve success is to never give up, no matter how hard. That kind of attitude will get you trapped. I look forward to hearing about your success and wish you all the luck buddy.

Greetings all! Finally getting around to an introduction, I'll make it brief. I've been lurking for some time on the site and have found it to be a bit of a letdown. There seems to be a lot of negativity and, based on what I've read on this site, the A&P field has lost much of its luster over the last few decades.
    I probably need to have my head examined as I am in the first third of A&P school at the ripe old age of 52. I'll be 54 by the time I finish school. Going to A&P school is something that I've had in the back of my mind doing for 25 years, and my last job was the straw that broke the camel's back. I am tired of crap, bottom feeder jobs, crap, bottom feeder bosses, and taking job offers from anyone who gives me one doing whatever it is they do at whatever pay they pay. I have no degree's, no certifications, no marketable skills other than a tiring backbone and an arm and hand hanging off either side of my body. So I've decided it's time (past time actually) to take some control of the situation and get some kind of training. Why I chose aviation maintainance I'm not 100% sure, other than it looks like something I can do, and aircraft are interesting to me.
    My ace in the hole with the entire situation is there is a major military base in my town that hires virtually every graduate of my school, and they are projecting a rate of 70 retirements per month over the next 2 years. I have no doubt there will be jobs available, and the federal government is blind to age, or they should be anyway. I'm sure these aren't the top paying A&P jobs, but I can do pretty well on $25- $30 an hour, which is pretty much double what I can expect to make by doing nothing and continuing to work crap jobs the rest of my life.
    Speaking of military bases I am suprised that I have run across little to nothing on here discussing this aspect of A&P employment. After looking around some, I am beginning to suspect that what I have here in my town is a fairly unique and rare arrangement with the government hiring civilian A&P's to work on military aircraft. From what I've been able to determine. it is more common for the government to contract with private companies who in turn hire A&P's to do the work. I would love to move to Las Vegas and work at Nellis AFB, but they seem to do the contractor thing there, and I'd much rather work for the government than a private company. So I'll probably be stuck here, but that's ok. If I'm wrong about all this, I'd love to hear about it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Checking in. 35 school days left and I'm done! Last day of school is March 27, starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.I have my Airframe Certificate in my pocket (after waiting 102 days from test date to get it), finished Recips, and currently doing Turbines. All going according to plan so far. Next check in--- March 28!

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Awesome!

Keep it up!

Steve

Checking in. 35 school days left and I'm done! Last day of school is March 27, starting to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.I have my Airframe Certificate in my pocket (after waiting 102 days from test date to get it), finished Recips, and currently doing Turbines. All going according to plan so far. Next check in--- March 28!

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Update!! Since my last post dated Jan 13 there have been many developments. In December I had an interview for a job, didn't mention it cause, well, interviews aren't much to get excited about, but I was offered the job shortly after the post. The new job required attending a three week orientation class and I had to take a leave of absence from school to attend. Last night we had our graduation ceremonies and I wish I could say I'm all done, but I now have to make up two classes this summer that I missed during this time. So I'm semi done..... Bad part of all this is it delays my plans to be totally finished and certificated by the end of April to now, the end of August. Good news though, I HAVE A JOB! It's a pretty sweet job too, all I can say about it is I work on airplanes at a military air base and so far I love it! Good pay, good benefits, all that's left to do is retire. We have to wait awhile for a final update though, see yall in late August, early September when I hopefully, will have all this school stuff behind me for good!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Atta-boy... Aw-shit...
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It all came to an end today. Took my Oral and Practical for Powerplant and passed. No more school, no more class, no more papers to write, no more books, and no more studying! I'm an officially certified A&P mechanic! Next step- go from intern to full time at work, get my 15-20 years and retire! Seems like just yesterday I was starting school.....

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Outstanding man !!!!!

Keep us informed of the progress

Steve

It all came to an end today. Took my Oral and Practical for Powerplant and passed. No more school, no more class, no more papers to write, no more books, and no more studying! I'm an officially certified A&P mechanic! Next step- go from intern to full time at work, get my 15-20 years and retire! Seems like just yesterday I was starting school.....

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

congratulations, welcome to the jungle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12