Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the thoughts. Some of my classmates have been poking fun at my growing collection of tools. We were given the tool lists from 4 airlines...I can cover all but around 10 items. A rivet gun, air drill, and 3/8" air ratchet come to mind.

I did go to look at some rivet guns from an online ad. Guy said they were new. Get there and they're in a bucket in various condition. See an air screwdriver that is NIB. How much? $300. Look it up on my phone and show him they're $115 from the manufacturer. How much do you want? $300. Facepalm.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Finally getting out into the hangar at school. Had to torque about 60 nuts on a battery, so I broke out the new torque wrench, set it to 113 in.lbs., and let it beep and vibrate when it was right. Have to say...that made it easy. Any other thoughts of tools to make life easy would be appreciated.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    Thanks for the thoughts. Some of my classmates have been poking fun at my growing collection of tools. We were given the tool lists from 4 airlines...I can cover all but around 10 items. A rivet gun, air drill, and 3/8" air ratchet come to mind.

I did go to look at some rivet guns from an online ad. Guy said they were new. Get there and they're in a bucket in various condition. See an air screwdriver that is NIB. How much? $300. Look it up on my phone and show him they're $115 from the manufacturer. How much do you want? $300. Facepalm.
    http://www.yardstore.com/
    they sell surplus, that is in good working condition.
    i have built several travel tool kits with used tools from the yard, and only had one DOA tool. The Yard immediately shipped a replacement.
    Do not bother with a 2X, and in my opinion, do not bother with a 3X.
    Buy a 4X, slap a regulator on there, and you are golden.
    I own a 4X Chicago, and a 6-7X Cleco, and it has fulfilled 98% of what I have ever needed, from airlines, to GA, and rotorwing.
    yes you can have overkill....... but, can you ever have too much overkill?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I've looked at their site, as suggested. Just waiting for the right deal. On the rivet gun, I was told specifically to get a 3x for school. It isn't on the tool list, so I can go with your suggestion of a regulator and a 4x. Thanks. Power plant is first, so I can take some time on sheet metal tools, but an air drill is on the list too. 2600rpm reversible sound alright?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Not bad.
    eventually you will end up with at least 2.
    1 small lightweight "palm drill" with a 1/4" chuck
    1 1/2" chuck beast for the few times you need a monster.

After 10 years doing tinbending, I think I am up to 5.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'll start with the small drill. Might take me a while to be like you and get to 5, but the collection is growing quickly. Do you keep a metric set? All our lists have been standard, but the nuts on our battery servicing project were 17mm.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

metric wrenches and sockets are part of my Kit

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Some of my classmates have been poking fun at my growing collection of tools.
    Really??? And very sad…

Finally getting out into the hangar at school. … when it was right. Have to say...that made it easy.
    There is a very important lesson, the correct tool makes it easy. A large part of this field is figuring out what tool is the correct tool, there is plan A, then B, and hopefully not C or D.

Any other thoughts of tools to make life easy would be appreciated.
    As others have noted, that depends on where you end up, and what you like to do. My box has mostly wiring tools, because I chased sparks for years. But there are a few other tools in there. I stumbled across a 2”x 3” piece of 0.060 with a 90° lip on it in the back of a drawer last weekend. Then I remembered that I used that to break the edges on Kydex at one point.

Yes metric wrenches, sockets and Allen Keys are part of my box.
    Last edited by mnttech; 03-01-2016 at 06:30 AM.
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because you’re dying, because you’re dead, because you’re one of the best in your field, or because you’re one of the worst. My question for you is, why don’t I hear people talking about you?” Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I have L shaped and T handle Allen wrenches, standard and metric in my box now. I'll have to work on a socket set and wrenches. Work in progress on getting the "right tools", but the set is coming along... Thanks for all the help.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by helowrench View Post
    http://www.yardstore.com/
    they sell surplus, that is in good working condition.
    i have built several travel tool kits with used tools from the yard, and only had one DOA tool. The Yard immediately shipped a replacement.
    Do not bother with a 2X, and in my opinion, do not bother with a 3X.
    Buy a 4X, slap a regulator on there, and you are golden.
    I own a 4X Chicago, and a 6-7X Cleco, and it has fulfilled 98% of what I have ever needed, from airlines, to GA, and rotorwing.
    A sioux 4X hits like a CP or Cleco 5X imo. It's almost too much for alot of jobs.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast