Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My first thought was a Sioux 3x. Like everything else, probably end up with many.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Any thoughts on tools and training for avionics? We had a graduate of our program that runs a corporate flight department in my hometown talk to our class. Looking for technicians, but especially guys that can do avionics. Any thoughts on what to study? I've already started working on the General Radiotelephone Operator's License.

Edit: I have a Fluke multimeter and a digital soldering station for a start.
    Last edited by mdsalern; 03-02-2016 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added info.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    Any thoughts on tools and training for avionics?
    Google it, look for schools near you. Be aware that avionics is a repairman certification based on the repair station. There is no "approved" training for a repairman since it depends on the repair station ratings. Look for good basics, i.e DC and AC circuits, digital, and lots and lots of troubleshooting. A lot of new avionics techs start as installers, running new wiring, light sheet metal (depends where). I'm assuming the grad was looking for someone to figure out what box to remove and replace, instead of swaptronics. It takes time to understand the basics, and then the aircraft in question.

Lots of smaller tools, the meter is a good start. Wire strippers with changeable jaws, flush cutting diagonal cutters, needle nose pliers, 1/4 drive socket set with deep well sockets.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I think I have the tool portion covered. Now for the knowledge. They run a fleet of Falcons, 900EXs and 7Xs and it was mentioned the company is trying to start a repair station. The specifics I don't know. Guessing they're updating the older panels?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

They run a fleet of Falcons, 900EXs and 7Xs and it was mentioned the company is trying to start a repair station. The specifics I don't know. Guessing they're updating the older panels?
    Depends on the size of the fleet, I would guess, and the depth of the pockets. In the 80's I worked for a company that had 12 aircraft,and we had our own repair station. Repaired the radios, wheels/brakes, air conditioners, all under a 145 repair station.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

9 planes. Fortune 500 company. Funny that they're trying to start a repair station, but farm out their inspections and other major work due to the downtime of doing it in-house.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

9 planes. Fortune 500 company. Funny that they're trying to start a repair station, but farm out their inspections and other major work due to the downtime of doing it in-house.
    Alot of flight departments have their own repair station license. Operations with 5 aircraft or less. I worked on a 135 operator with a 50, 2000 and 604 and they as I said were a 135 operator with a repairstation license.

All the heavy stuff was outsourced. Mainly because all your expensive tools and what have you, it's hard to justify doing your own C check on a F50, 900, 2000 whatever. Now I've done C checks on 900s and 50s with just 4 guys and it can be done in a 3 month span. But it's ALOT of work. You gotta have a know how that sadly alot of flight departments are lacking. Now you'll get some guys out of your Weststar, Duncan, Dassault, whatever that will know the aircraft inside and out... But you need a solid team of ATLEAST 4 guys like that to do a C check, and 80+ hour weeks at that.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Good Post Brett
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I understand now why they would set up a repair station, but send 1 mechanic out with the plane to have the inspection done at another facility. As he said, they can't afford the plane to be down that long. Thank-you, Brett.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I understand now why they would set up a repair station, but send 1 mechanic out with the plane to have the inspection done at another facility. As he said, they can't afford the plane to be down that long. Thank-you, Brett.
    That's standard practice to send a DOM/Sr. Tech/Chief Pilot with the aircraft. Helps things go smoother. The worse thing is when you have no one to look at anything when you're seeking approvals to do work. Then some places if you're not there, They'll take you on a ride on some these write ups. I've seen some CRAZY write ups that people have paid for. But it boils down to bad techs writing up things that are not wrong, it getting in the hands of a sales person that knows nothing, etc, etc. You get the idea. Your best off having someone there with the A/C

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast