Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by teamwuds View Post
    I keep running into a need for Allen wrenches, I'd add those to your list.
    100% agree with this one,

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

On Helicopters we mostly use 1/4" drive tools as well, but there's a need for 3/8", 1/2" and 3/4" drive tools when working on the main rotor system where some bolts are torqued as high as 275 lbs/ft...Some of the Main Transmission hardware is up there in torque and bolt size as well...My suggestion would be to start with a good 1/4", 3/8" & 1/2" drive set and then build from there! Invest in 12 point 1/4" drive SAE/Metric shallow/deep sockets bit drivers, small sized 1/4" & 3/8" drive wrenches (tight fit areas) requires this. Small lithium powered cordless drills work wonders over the traditional larger cordless drills from the 90's... (SAE & Metric) Ignition wrenches, nutdrivers, micro allen drivers, a decent safety wire pliers and hand safety wire twister (close quarters), an assortment of screwdrivers and pliers, high quality LED flashlights from Streamlight and Maglights are IMO the most reliable...plenty of different size inspection mirrors, good safety glasses, aviation snips, hole saws, diegrinder, air drill 1/4" or 3/8", and a decent tool chest, or tool cart for starting out....I also use a service cart that allows my to work from if I'm working at a particular location on the aircraft and you want to have all the necessary tools right there. Good luck...Start small and build from there...also make you're own tools when possible!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123