Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    If you post your school list, we might be able to point you more in the right direction. Remember, it's just a basic list. You're going to have to purchase other stuff. Each aircraft I've worked on so far has required something I didn't have in my box.
    Sure thing here is the list:

3” x 1 ” x ” piece of metal (3 in 1 tool)
    ” general purpose morris twist drill (118 included angle)
    Safety Wire - .032” & .041” size (share with classmates recommended)

The following is a list of minimum tools required for the Aircraft General Student and is not intended as a
    complete list of tools required for the trade. These tools will satisfy the student in so far as the General
    Course is concerned and may be added to, as time and funds become available.
    Toolbox and lock. 8” Adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench)

Eye protection - Glasses, Goggles or Shield (OSHA
    Approved)

Standard set of combination open end/ box end
    wrenches. 3/8" - 7/8".

6" scale graduated in 1/10”, 1/100”, 1/32”, and
    1/64”
    1/4" drive, standard socket set with ratchet.
    12" combination square & Scribe. 3/8” drive, standard socket set with ratchet.
    12" mill bastard file. (single cut) Common screwdrivers. 1" stubby, 4", and 8" shank.
    12” Medium finishing file. (second cut suggested) Phillips screwdriver. #2 tip, 4" shank.
    File handle for each file. Pocketknife.
    File card. Pin punch set (optional).
    Ball peen hammer - 8 oz. Vise jaw protectors (aluminum angle 4” to 6” long)
    Center punch.
    Hacksaw frame and blades. (28 or 32 teeth per
    inch). Note: insure that the hacksaw frame can hold
    two blades at one time.
    6” Duckbill pliers.
    6” Slip joint pliers.
    6” Long nose pliers.
    6” Diagonal cutters

8” Adjustable wrench (Crescent wrench)
    Last edited by sdaircraftstudent; 12-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Yup that's pretty basic.

I hardly use my 3/8 drive stuff at all.
    I use it at home, and doing heavier stuff, but for the most part 1/4

Also a Cherry Gauge, A Huck Gauge, And an AN Bolt Size Card and a Drill Card 1-60

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Since you have a small list, I suggest you purchase what you need piecemeal and wait until you get out of school to get anything else. Unless they supply your tools, every workplace is going to have a list for you to fill.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I went through the A&P program at Miramar College and it's a great program. The professors are very knowledgeable and they're very enthusiastic about aviation. I purchased my tools from Sears for under $120 bucks using my student discount. I think that you should stick to the tool list and build a complete set as you work your way through the program. The snap on aircraft apprentice set is a great set but a lot of the tools in the set you'll never use going through the program. You only get a small locker to store your tools in unless you carry your tools in everyday for class. There's a tool crib in the hangar for tools that you don't have. I don't recommend relying on the tool crib at all tho. You should buy your own tools and take pride in building your own set. Not to discourage you from buying your set but maybe get through the first semester and make sure you're committed and up for the task. I had two guys in my class go out and buy numerous Snap on tools and they were unable to complete the program. This resulted in them selling their tools for a lower price than what they paid for them. SD is a great place to find tools for aviation. I hope that helps you out.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    Since you have a small list, I suggest you purchase what you need piecemeal and wait until you get out of school to get anything else. Unless they supply your tools, every workplace is going to have a list for you to fill.
    this is the correct answer.
    The tools you need at a job, will completely depend upon the job you are doing.
    yes you can have overkill....... but, can you ever have too much overkill?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger78 View Post
    I went through the A&P program at Miramar College and it's a great program. The professors are very knowledgeable and they're very enthusiastic about aviation. I purchased my tools from Sears for under $120 bucks using my student discount. I think that you should stick to the tool list and build a complete set as you work your way through the program. The snap on aircraft apprentice set is a great set but a lot of the tools in the set you'll never use going through the program. You only get a small locker to store your tools in unless you carry your tools in everyday for class. There's a tool crib in the hangar for tools that you don't have. I don't recommend relying on the tool crib at all tho. You should buy your own tools and take pride in building your own set. Not to discourage you from buying your set but maybe get through the first semester and make sure you're committed and up for the task. I had two guys in my class go out and buy numerous Snap on tools and they were unable to complete the program. This resulted in them selling their tools for a lower price than what they paid for them. SD is a great place to find tools for aviation. I hope that helps you out.
    Great idea, thanks! Yeah I will do that. I think Sears and Harbor Freight have lowest prices on the tools required. I am most interested in learning how to work on avionics and engines. The two super expensive things that with knowledge and experience can make owning a Bonanza somewhat affordable.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by sdaircraftstudent View Post
    Great idea, thanks! Yeah I will do that. I think Sears and Harbor Freight have lowest prices on the tools required. I am most interested in learning how to work on avionics and engines. The two super expensive things that with knowledge and experience can make owning a Bonanza somewhat affordable.
    If you make enough money to own a S or V35 working on airplanes... You won't have enough time to fly

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I don't plan to do this for a living just for the knowledge and skills. I can reach many places in 1-2 hours of flying on weekends in a Bonanza. From San Diego, in 2 hours can see family in northern California and head back for work before the weekend is over.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I took a quick look at your list and for the wrenches I would go down to 1/4" and up to 1" make sure you include the odd sizes or stupid sizes as a former co worker said of 11/32. 11/16 and 15/16 15/16 not so much but the 11/32 and 11/16 I used them a lot.

I'm surprised there is no mention of a 7/8" deep socket for spark plugs or a 1" socket for oil filters. both of which I have used on turbine aircraft.

When I was on the floor I was always buying tools a couple times a month I would be in the snap on truck or at a store looking for something to make life a lot easier. now I just look for better pens to make my writing look neater.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I keep running into a need for Allen wrenches, I'd add those to your list.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast