Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Delta

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Were you regional or corporate at Embraer? I desperately need an Embraer Phenom/legacy tech here in Chicago if you want to make some real money and not that BS delta money

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I have spent 26 years at Delta Air Lines and I can't imagine having a better career in aviation. I find it amazing to hear people on this forum speak poorly of the employment that a major carrier provides.

I don't have to work overtime if I don't want but I normally put in an extra 8-10 hours a week. I have a fabulous retirement, a huge 401K, I sleep in my own bed every night and work on some of the most fascinating machines man has ever made. Insurance is great, time off benefits are great, hourly wage is great... I just don't understand the negativity. It is difficult to get on at Delta but if you have what they're looking for it's as close to winning the lottery as you can get.

Maybe the fact that you have to be at work on time, perform your job as directed, and keep a clean personal life makes it unfavorable for some. Being a military veteran (non-aviation related) and being hired at Delta directly from my college campus has made my life at Delta relatively simple. I had the discipline they were looking for, the work ethic, the clean background, and the desire to perform any task I was given without complaint. If this makes working for a major airline undesirable then so be it. To the original poster - if you can get an offer from Delta then I'd strongly consider it. You can always leave if you don't like it but you won't be given the offer twice.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

X
    Quote Originally Posted by fowvay View Post
    I have spent 26 years at Delta Air Lines and I can't imagine having a better career in aviation. I find it amazing to hear people on this forum speak poorly of the employment that a major carrier provides.

I don't have to work overtime if I don't want but I normally put in an extra 8-10 hours a week. I have a fabulous retirement, a huge 401K, I sleep in my own bed every night and work on some of the most fascinating machines man has ever made. Insurance is great, time off benefits are great, hourly wage is great... I just don't understand the negativity. It is difficult to get on at Delta but if you have what they're looking for it's as close to winning the lottery as you can get.

Maybe the fact that you have to be at work on time, perform your job as directed, and keep a clean personal life makes it unfavorable for some. Being a military veteran (non-aviation related) and being hired at Delta directly from my college campus has made my life at Delta relatively simple. I had the discipline they were looking for, the work ethic, the clean background, and the desire to perform any task I was given without complaint. If this makes working for a major airline undesirable then so be it. To the original poster - if you can get an offer from Delta then I'd strongly consider it. You can always leave if you don't like it but you won't be given the offer twice.
    You cant understand how anyone could be negative about Delta because YOU showed up at the right time. I know guys that lost everything in 1992 during the 7.5 layoffs. I know guys that lost everything after they closed DFW, Tampa, and especially after the coup de grace layoffs in 2005. Not to mention those guys that saw their million dollar 401k go to zero in one year. Otherwise it was a better than average job with better than average people.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-07-2017 at 07:31 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I hired in 1991. I was there in 7.5 with very little seniority. I manage my own 401k and I NEVER lost my basis points because I manage and stay on top of it. I certainly don't blame Delta for the economic collapses that we've endured over the years. I work with many people that transferred here from Tampa and Dallas. Delta offered them jobs if they wanted to make the move. Some did and some didn't.

Take responsibility for your own destiny and you will feel much better about the direction that your life takes. We are each responsible for ourselves and our own welfare. If Delta closes tomorrow I won't lose everything. I will walk out and be thankful for what I have had.

An individuals attitude is far more important than their education or professional standings. Delta can't do anything to me that I don't allow them to do. It's just how I manage my life. I'm sorry that you feel slighted by them but again, we make our own choices and harvest our rewards.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I hired in 1991. I was there in 7.5 with very little seniority. I manage my own 401k and I NEVER lost my basis points because I manage and stay on top of it. I certainly don't blame Delta for the economic collapses that we've endured over the years. I work with many people that transferred here from Tampa and Dallas. Delta offered them jobs if they wanted to make the move. Some did and some didn't.

Take responsibility for your own destiny and you will feel much better about the direction that your life takes. We are each responsible for ourselves and our own welfare. If Delta closes tomorrow I won't lose everything. I will walk out and be thankful for what I have had.

An individuals attitude is far more important than their education or professional standings. Delta can't do anything to me that I don't allow them to do. It's just how I manage my life. I'm sorry that you feel slighted by them but again, we make our own choices and harvest our rewards.
    I'm illustrating that Delta, while among the best aviation has to offer, is no better than average. Just another bankrupt company in a largely bankrupt industry. It is easy to have a good attitude when everything whent your way. You'll even start believing it was because you worked so hard and were so smart. I have done considerably better since I left in 2005. I know many others that have as well.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-08-2017 at 04:52 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Kevbo

I have a solution to the issue here.

In your profile you can write anything you want. Please feel free to post your opinions about NWA Delta or any other airline you wish. I ask again..... Stop trashing every post that involves any airline you have issues with. It conveys a sense of negativity that apparently you alone share. Someone new to the board would and I fear does get the wrong impression about our mission here. This being said I do appreciate you tempering your other recent posts.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    I'm illustrating that Delta, while among the best aviation has to offer, is no better than average. Just another bankrupt company in a largely bankrupt industry. It is easy to have a good attitude when everything whent your way. You'll even start believing it was because you worked so hard and were so smart. I have done considerably better since I left in 2005. I know many others that have as well.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

OK..... I have no opinion of NWA other than the effort was mis-timed. I now know that they would not have been released to strike if the airline couldnt cover it. A lot of guys would have been better off had it ended that way. The market has finally turned in our favor, to the extent that an enevitable correction won't be as painful as the last one. Still, wages are not rising as fast as they are for pilots indicating an oversupply of maintenance personell.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-08-2017 at 07:41 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

.Well I am happy that it worked out for you. Problem is there are people who got into aviation with an awesome company think Eastern Airlines or even Pan Am and you know how that ended up. I hired in at NWA in 1988 and thought at the time a few years later I am glad I wasn't at EAL we had nothing but battles with management the whole time I was there up to and including the strike. If I had chose to cross my picket line I would be at Delta now with more seniority than you have. But I was never going to entertain that. Its easy for guys to talk who happened to hire into a company and were able to stay at the same company their whole careers, there are plenty of them here at big purple. At the time I got into aviation FX and UPS were not the companies to go to the passenger airlines were but after 9/11 the whole script was flipped. You are just lucky you hired into where you did. Good for you I wish the same could be said for every AMT but sadly most of us have taken a beating of one kind or another.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I am going to post this last comment to this thread and then I'm going to move on. I had the offer to hire at United, American, USAir, and Delta when I got hired right out of school. I chose Delta for one reason - NO UNION! This has proven to be a very wise decision on my part.

I'm sorry that you guys hate the major carriers and feel that they have slighted you. I will retire at age 55 and enjoy my free travel around the world as I wind down the remainder of my life. I have my retirement home in the North Georgia mountains and I am going to enjoy the rewards of my hard labor.

Good luck to you folks. Continue to refuse education and feel free to work every waking hour of your life on overtime. You get what you deserve.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Ok, I agree.

Lets not state it on every post.

if you want to bemoan the BS aviation has put us ALL though., try this place

exnwa.com

They are never going to let the scabs forget ever.

S

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    OK..... I have no opinion of NWA other than the effort was mis-timed. I now know that they would not have been released to strike if the airline couldnt cover it. A lot of guys would have been better off had it ended that way. The market has finally turned in our favor, to the extent that an enevitable correction won't be as painful as the last one. Still, wages are not rising as fast as they are for pilots indicating an oversupply of maintenance personell.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast