Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Tool list for school

Here is the tool list the school wants me to get. they say I can get it via the school for $2500, but on the snap on website it costs over $4600. Does this look good? or is there something better for less?

https://www.iwcc.edu/Academic_Progra.../tool_list.pdf

https://store.snapon.com/Aircraft-Ma...t-P841595.aspx

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Probably the school discount. Snap on is always s the best
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Generally speaking, there are no better quality tools. Can a mechanic live with less expensive tools. Most certainly. The majority of mechanics do.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Likely alot of junk you'll never use.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I suggest getting a login to the Snap On SEP website and pricing out the list in the sets that cover what you need. You'll likely get a bigger set for about the same amount and you can skimp where Snap On isn't necessary.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Her you go...First of all it depends where you'll be working....That is if you're in an engine shop then SNAP ON, MAC, MATCO, CORNWELL may be the only acceptable tools since their 1/4" drive sockets don't lose the chrome coating on the socket tips like Craftsman or other less expensive tools do...This condition can contaminate an engine upon assembly. Do you need 100% SNAP ON? HELL NO! You need SNAP ON when their no better/other option truthfully...You'll find there are things that they make that work and fit so much better than other tools such as the SNAP ON offset Wrench Set, especially when working in confined quarters such as a Bell Helicopter Broom closet rigging the flight controls. I've got all types of brands from SNAP ON, Cornwell, MAC, MATCO, SK, Gearwrench, TItan, Craftsman, ATS, Bluepoint, Cresent, Maglite, Streamlight, Irwin....Start low and build your set is my advice...There's some tools that I use everyday and some now and then so if you don't really need it why spent a fortune on it...As we speak the Northern Tool and Harbor freight get better and better...But something I looked at during my time working on oil field equipment if I could buy (4) 1/2 drive impact wrenches to (1) Snap On and even the Snap On(s) wearout..I'll go cheap...Good luck

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Miniarure, twelve point, and fine prawl is usually supported only by the professional brands. Much of the new harbor freight crap is lasting a long time. It's just embarrassing to be seen using it sometimes.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

For once we completely agree lol

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Miniarure, twelve point, and fine prawl is usually supported only by the professional brands. Much of the new harbor freight crap is lasting a long time. It's just embarrassing to be seen using it sometimes.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My Snap On metric 3/8" set has several sockets that are flaking around the tips. It's an older set and seen a bit of use.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    You must be one of those folks trying to impress everyone around you especially the Jones'....My work is my expression once it's completed...You won't know if I used a $10,000 tool or a $50 tool...It's like the phone situation among young adults...If there parents gave them a spare flip phone or iPhone 4 the youngster will be embarrassed to have it in their possession since it's treated like a status symbol as are high end tool brands...There are some tools you have to own cause there's no substitute for them...Especially when working in tight confined spaces or to work flawlessly at certain task the other brands don't seem to fit nor work as efficient....But shame of tools only an fool would spend his hard earned money recklessly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast