Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default I am going to meet with the instructor tomorrow for a tour...

Hey guys!

I am meeting the Instructor tomorrow to ask some questions and get a tour. Anything in particular I should look for or ask?

Thanks,

-JJ
    Last edited by jjrellim; 04-11-2017 at 03:41 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Anyone that the school lets you talk to will be a salesman. They will say anything to get you to sign up. Take the tour but don't listen to the salesman's BS. Going to A&P school is OK for a very young person as long as you do not pay too much for it. Just know going into this that many people working on airplanes do not have an A&P and few schooled A&Ps ever work on airplanes. I think that your prospects will be ok since the industry has been doing away with maintenance for so long that its finally bottoming out. Mechanics that have held the good jobs for a long time are finally starting to die out oppening opportunities for the young.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Kevbo
    Where do you get this crap from dude

Just know going into this that many people working on airplanes do not have an A&P and few schooled A&Ps ever work on airplanes.

Last request for you to stop this type of stuff. or you can go create www,ihatebeingana&psoyoushouldentdoiteither.com

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You are taking it wrong. I'm saying you can work where I do overhauling aircraft parts in an air conditioned shop for $37/hr plus a federal government style benefit package without having to get an A&P. I'm the only one out of 100 people in this particular department that has one. Our inspectors don't even have it. We are one of the largest local aviation employers and have never hired any fresh A&Ps from the three local schools. I've told management that they should go there first. They are required to let the unemployment office provide all applicants which bypass new grads in favor of older people out of work. I think this is wrong considering I trained specifically for this work at a 147 school. The game is convoluted leaving me with many more questions than answers.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I just looked at the FAAs airmen statistics. They are reporting a decrease in mechanics by over 50,000 for 2016. It may be true considering airlines are giving raises for the first time in 16 years. This is the best news that I have ever read. Maybe I can get my old career back.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    I just looked at the FAAs airmen statistics. They are reporting a decrease in mechanics by over 50,000 for 2016. It may be true considering airlines are giving raises for the first time in 16 years. This is the best news that I have ever read. Maybe I can get my old career back.
    I'm running into a shortage right now trying to hire guys... Tons of guys, but none have the kinda background I need. I need a turn key guy. There are very few real mechanics left

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well that is possible. I just choked on the few schooled A&P's work on aircraft line.
    With the exception of the MRO slave life, 90% of the A&P's I have worked with in my life have been A&P Mechanics.

S

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

We cant get people to Florida with GA Experience, the boss just gave up looking

S
    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    I'm running into a shortage right now trying to hire guys... Tons of guys, but none have the kinda background I need. I need a turn key guy. There are very few real mechanics left

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The FAA is probably counting blue cards now, that would account for a change of this magnitude. Before they had no way of knowing who was active. Now they know who is at least paying attention.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I talked to the instructors today, and they gave me a tour of the aviation building. It looked sweet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast