Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Starting School hopfully in August.

Hello every one, I Am new to Aircraft I've never had any interest in Aircraft before now, But I like working on stuff and taking things apart and putting it back together or replacing new parts on stuff. I don't have a strong mechanical background. So what is the aircraft mechanics work like and and what is the best route for someone new. I am going to PIA a A&P school and when I finish I want to know how to get a good start and how to land jobs with FedEx or major airlines. I would atleast want to make a living wage that allows a little room for my sons college/technical school fund and money to play with. Has anyone ever attended PIA or know anyone who has are they a reputable school? Thanks in advance or any responses!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

All the answers you seek are here. Just search keywords, and read posts.

As far as route, if you can afford school that's a common way to go.

I don't know about that specific school buy maybe someone else does,

Welcome

Steve
    Administrator Account

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

PIA is well known and a fine school, I know a few A&P's that went there. It may be more expensive than other avenues, but if there are other considerations, like being able to live at home, that's awesome. Welcome and good luck.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hi! I'm planning on starting school in August too! Nice to see some more newbies like myself on the forum.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks! I go to talk with financial Aid tomorrow. I live with my wifes parents to help keep money in both of our pockets for the mean time. I do still have to work full time on weekends to take care of my share of bill and son and wife. Did anyone try working weekends and attend school through the week?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I was in an Associate's Degree program at Columbus State Community College. There was quite a bit of homework in some of the non-A&P courses, which suffered a little because I worked part time (weekday and weekends) at a building supply retailer. There was very little assigned homework for the A&P classes. But, we're talking early '80's
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My job is shutting down at the end of July and I am suppose to start school end of august. Cant wait till I get in a new Career one to use my mind and think be able to se my work when its completed and feel accomplished. As of right now I go in a big circle for 8-12 hrs a day picking up boxes wrapping pallets and loading them on trucks. Very repetitive and boring.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Cheaper the school the better. A&P is an A&P. Community college is honestly your best option. As for what it's like working on airplanes... It's hard to describe...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

LOL.
    It can suck. Depending upon what you work on... Sometimes you can feel like you're an underpaid plumber, other times like a hero because you may have saved lives. Sometimes you look like a Greasemonkey and sometimes a computer geek. Working all night to troubleshoot and repair an aircraft so it makes schedule and many people aren't disappointed can be very rewarding.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 04-23-2017 at 01:27 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I love repairing things, I love the feeling of fixing things that are broken. I would love to make a decent living with it also. I've talked with my wife and I am deffently willing to relocate although I live by two big airports BWI and Dulles. I also have a regional airport in near me where the school is. Unfourently no Community colleges around me offer A&P classes. From the post ive seen on here Fed ex and UPS are the biggest paying jobs. How hard is it to get on with these companies? I am currently in the Teamsters union, Would that help with ups and where are the FedEx and UPS jobs located?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast