Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default Opinions for degree program paths

    Hi! I'm fairly new to this side of the industry, I was enrolled at Embry-Riddle in their Aerospace Engineering program before deciding that I probably would never enjoy a heavily math based profession like that. A bunch of stuff happened and I ended up enrolled in their Aviation Maintenance program and I was told I needed to choose an area of concentration for it. I'll bore you guys with the details while providing the information I've been given if you don't want to wade through all of my stuff. First off I'm currently enrolled in the Flight option which supposedly provides me with a pilots license, but costs quite a bit more to complete. And a pilot license is something I'm fairly interested in, you can look at the link to see the different options available for it. The other two are maintenance management and safety. From my understanding after a talk with one of the guys in charge of the curriculum management sets you up in a position to either be in a management position with more ease, or give you knowledge for running your own business, neither of which really interest me. The safety option has 2 paths, occupational and aircraft safety. Occupational safety supposedly lets you get a job as a workplace safety coordinator type person or a joint maintenance/safety position. The aircraft safety leans more towards accident investigation from my understanding. I have VERY limited knowledge of the industry and what's needed, any input would be absolutely fantastic!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    75
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlitztheDitz View Post
    Hi! I'm fairly new to this side of the industry, I was enrolled at Embry-Riddle in their Aerospace Engineering program before deciding that I probably would never enjoy a heavily math based profession like that. A bunch of stuff happened and I ended up enrolled in their Aviation Maintenance program and I was told I needed to choose an area of concentration for it. I'll bore you guys with the details while providing the information I've been given if you don't want to wade through all of my stuff. First off I'm currently enrolled in the Flight option which supposedly provides me with a pilots license, but costs quite a bit more to complete. And a pilot license is something I'm fairly interested in, you can look at the link to see the different options available for it. The other two are maintenance management and safety. From my understanding after a talk with one of the guys in charge of the curriculum management sets you up in a position to either be in a management position with more ease, or give you knowledge for running your own business, neither of which really interest me. The safety option has 2 paths, occupational and aircraft safety. Occupational safety supposedly lets you get a job as a workplace safety coordinator type person or a joint maintenance/safety position. The aircraft safety leans more towards accident investigation from my understanding. I have VERY limited knowledge of the industry and what's needed, any input would be absolutely fantastic!
    Well I've been known to be a buzzkill here on this forum but my first question is what is your end goal? Do you want to be a pilot or a mechanic or both? Are you interested in General Aviation or is the airlines your goal? To be honest it sounds like the school recruiters got their hooks in you. First off let me be clear you will NOT step into high paying gig just out of school even one as good as Embry Riddle you will pay your dues one way or the other before you get to the higher pay and Riddle is insanely expensive and if you are in the flight program it's even more so. Have you flown in a small plane or taken a demonstration flight to see if that is something you would like? Guess I am just saying that I wouldn't commit to such an expensive endeavor until you do some more research and give it some more thought as to what you might like as a career goal. Don't let the snake oil salesmen at Riddle talk you into something you might regret. Unless you or your family is independently wealthy that will be a note that will take a lot of time to pay back. There are less expensive options out there to get you to the same goals in aviation. Just do your homework get others opinions and think about what YOU want and will get out of it. Good Luck to you

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,387
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    If I had to do it again, and I could afford to pay the dues, ( Low pay for a decade ) I would have went flight. For a hundred reasons.

    But keep in mind, flight is a thousand times more political than maintenance, which is pretty political in itself.

    Steve


    Quote Originally Posted by BlitztheDitz View Post
    Hi! I'm fairly new to this side of the industry, I was enrolled at Embry-Riddle in their Aerospace Engineering program before deciding that I probably would never enjoy a heavily math based profession like that. A bunch of stuff happened and I ended up enrolled in their Aviation Maintenance program and I was told I needed to choose an area of concentration for it. I'll bore you guys with the details while providing the information I've been given if you don't want to wade through all of my stuff. First off I'm currently enrolled in the Flight option which supposedly provides me with a pilots license, but costs quite a bit more to complete. And a pilot license is something I'm fairly interested in, you can look at the link to see the different options available for it. The other two are maintenance management and safety. From my understanding after a talk with one of the guys in charge of the curriculum management sets you up in a position to either be in a management position with more ease, or give you knowledge for running your own business, neither of which really interest me. The safety option has 2 paths, occupational and aircraft safety. Occupational safety supposedly lets you get a job as a workplace safety coordinator type person or a joint maintenance/safety position. The aircraft safety leans more towards accident investigation from my understanding. I have VERY limited knowledge of the industry and what's needed, any input would be absolutely fantastic!
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stratosphere View Post
    Well I've been known to be a buzzkill here on this forum but my first question is what is your end goal? Do you want to be a pilot or a mechanic or both? Are you interested in General Aviation or is the airlines your goal? To be honest it sounds like the school recruiters got their hooks in you. First off let me be clear you will NOT step into high paying gig just out of school even one as good as Embry Riddle you will pay your dues one way or the other before you get to the higher pay and Riddle is insanely expensive and if you are in the flight program it's even more so. Have you flown in a small plane or taken a demonstration flight to see if that is something you would like? Guess I am just saying that I wouldn't commit to such an expensive endeavor until you do some more research and give it some more thought as to what you might like as a career goal. Don't let the snake oil salesmen at Riddle talk you into something you might regret. Unless you or your family is independently wealthy that will be a note that will take a lot of time to pay back. There are less expensive options out there to get you to the same goals in aviation. Just do your homework get others opinions and think about what YOU want and will get out of it. Good Luck to you
    Buzzkills can be good sometimes, it's best to be aware of multiple perspectives if you're able to! I'm not really sure what my end goal is to be completely honest, I wouldn't mind being both, but I don't think I'd really enjoy only being a pilot. General aviation definitely interests me more than airlines, but airlines aren't off the table for me. I am aware that most airlines don't really care for pilots that have intricate knowledge of maintenance behind the aircraft they fly though. I have heard of some smaller roles that require their pilots to know how to fix what they're flying because they're flying off into the bush with no available techs at the destination. Being said I don't know the viability of trying to get a position like that. The reason I'm at Riddle is a whole separate thing though, long story short though if I switch schools at this point I'll lose what funding I do have. I completely understand your point though, and if it were under different circumstances I would look into other options.
    Last edited by BlitztheDitz; 05-15-2017 at 03:31 PM. Reason: unfamiliiar with the site layout

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    If I had to do it again, and I could afford to pay the dues, ( Low pay for a decade ) I would have went flight. For a hundred reasons.

    But keep in mind, flight is a thousand times more political than maintenance, which is pretty political in itself.

    Steve
    I think most every job these days has a political component to it, but it's a good idea to keep in mind. If you don't mind me asking what are the biggest reasons why you would have liked to go with flight?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I know Riddle is expensive but I don't think you will regret getting a pilots license. Even if you only get one to fly for yourself or as a hobby. But you might regret not getting one... like me. Don't be like me.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,387
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Well, dreaming that I was a gregarious likeable guy the following

    ALPA Awesome Union
    Awesome Pay after you pay your dues ( Building Hours )
    Status, Airline pilots get treated like doctors, bigger the plane, the more respect, so much in fact some turn into horrid assholes.
    Retirement
    Public Perception, You can fly a Saab 340, and the public sees you as a P51 or a Tomcat driver.

    We get NONE of that, I mean we are blue collar, and treated by most no better than the cargo throwers, or lav dump guys. You end up getting hardened over the years, and even a little resentful.


    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitztheDitz View Post
    I think most every job these days has a political component to it, but it's a good idea to keep in mind. If you don't mind me asking what are the biggest reasons why you would have liked to go with flight?
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    I know Riddle is expensive but I don't think you will regret getting a pilots license. Even if you only get one to fly for yourself or as a hobby. But you might regret not getting one... like me. Don't be like me.
    I'm still really interested in the flight path and unless there is a major benefit I'm not seeing to one of the others I will probably stay. I just wanted input from people in the industry so I could make an informed decision rather than going in blind. Thanks for the input though! If you had gotten your license do you think it would have given you any more opportunities that you would have happily jumped on?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    5
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Well, dreaming that I was a gregarious likeable guy the following

    ALPA Awesome Union
    Awesome Pay after you pay your dues ( Building Hours )
    Status, Airline pilots get treated like doctors, bigger the plane, the more respect, so much in fact some turn into horrid assholes.
    Retirement
    Public Perception, You can fly a Saab 340, and the public sees you as a P51 or a Tomcat driver.

    We get NONE of that, I mean we are blue collar, and treated by most no better than the cargo throwers, or lav dump guys. You end up getting hardened over the years, and even a little resentful.


    Steve
    I could definitely see how you could end up resenting someone like that. The area that I live in is full of a bunch of pretentious kids living off rich daddies and they all demand respect from other people. The way I see it though respect is earned, not granted based on status alone. I also grew up learning that everyone should be respected on at least a base level. Thank you for that input though, I really had no idea that that was really a thing. The only pilot I've ever known was my great uncle so I don't have a whole lot of experience with dealing with them.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    75
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Well, dreaming that I was a gregarious likeable guy the following

    ALPA Awesome Union
    Awesome Pay after you pay your dues ( Building Hours )
    Status, Airline pilots get treated like doctors, bigger the plane, the more respect, so much in fact some turn into horrid assholes.
    Retirement
    Public Perception, You can fly a Saab 340, and the public sees you as a P51 or a Tomcat driver.

    We get NONE of that, I mean we are blue collar, and treated by most no better than the cargo throwers, or lav dump guys. You end up getting hardened over the years, and even a little resentful.


    Steve
    Had to laugh at this Steve you hit the nail on the head. I used to watch the sitcom Wings if you ever saw it their mechanic Lowell was a doofus show was funny as hell but sadly that's about how we are perceived. We AMT's as a group have not helped our cause either we have guys who are brilliant and those I wouldn't let put my doghouse together and everything in between. We just flat out don't come across as professionals and as such we will never be treated that way. Funny thing taping the series Air Disasters amazing how many have been caused by maintenance or lack of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast