Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 79
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yankeeland
    Posts
    1,103
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    TL;DR: I'm older, I want to fix planes, I don't want to move, I want to work my way into this somehow.

    I'm going to preface this with the fact that I'm 37, I pretty much have my dream home, as modest as that dream was, and my first child will be here in a month. About a year ago I decided that I hate where I'm at in life, career wise, and that I need to work on, with, or around planes. Sometimes I go to the local airport (KPDK) on lunch break and just about envy the guys parking Citations for $12 an hour. So a mechanic I know told me that I should try to get a Support Mechanic job and test out in 3 years. Like that would be the easiest way to break in... at Delta. (Kind of funny now after reading how hard its supposed to be to get into Delta, especially Atlanta.) Trouble is, there are no repairman, helper, support mechanic openings that I can find locally, at any shops or airports. Relocation is not an option for me, but you'd think being next to the busiest airport in the world plus 5 or 6 decently busy GA airports, there would more openings. But it seems like there are a lot of options if I already had my A&P. The only 147 school within a drivable distance from my work would be AIM in Duluth, GA. I've read mixed things about it and its probably the more expensive route compared to a state tech school. I'm torn between waiting for an opening that might not manifest or going into debt at a school. I guess a third option would be throwing my resume at openings I'm obviously not qualified for. Just looking for suggestions and advice from those with experience. Sorry for the text wall.
    There's another A&P school in Atlanta itself. It's like Atlanta tech or something, it's ghetto as shit and I'd likely carry a gun if I were you since that's LEGAL NOW THANK GOD!... Then again I always carried a gun when I was based at PDK and living in Chamblee off Shallowford. lol. AIM cost an arm and leg, Justin and I went to Middle GA and it's about 1/4 of the cost but you're in Eastman GA... Place sucks

    As for WORKING in Atlanta... Good luck... Everyone keeps shutting down and there's a never ending flow of A&Ps. Delta is damn near impossible to get into thanks to all the yankees. Hawker Beech shut down a few years ago and kept like 20 guys employed (I was apart of the 100+ that got layed off)... Well they finally let all those guys go this year. So you got an endless line of Corporate, Commercial and GA techs in Atlanta. Best job offer I could get in Atlanta was $75K plus overtime and a second job working automotive I grossed around $110k. Not enough.

    Every GA shop I worked at in Georgia when I was younger is either shut down or about to shut down... It's a bad situation. Good luck buddy!

  2. #12
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I worked at the Haeco hangar in Macon GA for 3 years and I can tell you the place is a crap hole. The work environment sucks, the management sucks, and the pay is terrible. On a more positive note, if you can put up with their BS and look out for your self first, you can really learn a lot about commercial aircraft and get yourself a decent job after a couple of years whenever you have done your time. As far as getting on out there as a mechanic without an A&P license, it's not gonna happen. However, the company has started this new program if you sign a 2 or 3 year contract saying you will work for them then they will put you thru their 2 or 3 month sheet metal program on site where they train you and employ you as an unlicensed sheetmetal mechanic making peanuts. They will assist you in getting your training needed to get signed off to take your A&P test after 36 months or however long it takes now but again, you have to sign a contract saying you will work for them for a certain number of years after they pay for your test. If you are serious about it then I can probably talk with a few people I am still in touch with and see if they would be willing to work something out because I have heard of people being hired into that new sheet metal program from McDonald's. Be aware when I say the pay is peanuts I'm talking like 11 12 bucks an hour but they train you and supply your tools free of charge. I'm am glad I left that shit hole but I wouldn't trade the experience or the things I learned for anything and there are still a bunch of good guys left out there!
    Low hanging fruit? Might be my ticket. They are offering sign on bonuses for A&P which I'm not obviously, and they are hiring for cabin maintenance though i would need more experience. Do you think they would be offering any OT or shift diff with that sheet metal job? I would need a second job to make ends meet at 12 an hour.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    There's another A&P school in Atlanta itself. It's like Atlanta tech or something, it's ghetto as shit and I'd likely carry a gun if I were you since that's LEGAL NOW THANK GOD!... Then again I always carried a gun when I was based at PDK and living in Chamblee off Shallowford. lol. AIM cost an arm and leg, Justin and I went to Middle GA and it's about 1/4 of the cost but you're in Eastman GA... Place sucks

    As for WORKING in Atlanta... Good luck... Everyone keeps shutting down and there's a never ending flow of A&Ps. Delta is damn near impossible to get into thanks to all the yankees. Hawker Beech shut down a few years ago and kept like 20 guys employed (I was apart of the 100+ that got layed off)... Well they finally let all those guys go this year. So you got an endless line of Corporate, Commercial and GA techs in Atlanta. Best job offer I could get in Atlanta was $75K plus overtime and a second job working automotive I grossed around $110k. Not enough.

    Every GA shop I worked at in Georgia when I was younger is either shut down or about to shut down... It's a bad situation. Good luck buddy!
    Atlanta Tech lost their FAA cert last year and does not offer classes towards A&P. That was my first choice.

    Never been too worried about that area at least in the day time, and I work in Chamblee and never felt unsafe even at night. But I agree people should carry responsibly.

    75K would be a windfall for me as I support my family off of 35-40 now. I'm fully expecting to have to pay my dues and live off less than that for a while.
    Last edited by Rogue55; 05-16-2017 at 07:53 AM. Reason: Grammer

  4. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Eastman Georgia
    Posts
    31
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    Low hanging fruit? Might be my ticket. They are offering sign on bonuses for A&P which I'm not obviously, and they are hiring for cabin maintenance though i would need more experience. Do you think they would be offering any OT or shift diff with that sheet metal job? I would need a second job to make ends meet at 12 an hour.
    I'm assuming the cabin maintenance is for interiors mechanic which I have seen them hire guys with no experience for those positions. As far as overtime goes, when I worked there you could work as much overtime as you wanted and then some. You can work 10-12 hr days and work Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure what positions they have open on there website for Macon, but I do know that they are always hiring non stop because, like all other MRO's, they are a revolving door. They may only open that sheet metal trainee position every 3 or 4 months so that they can train a group of guys and start a new group after that. Be aware the company, like a lot of companies in aviation, have a sink or swim mentality. You either pick it up quickly and on the fly or you will quickly be ou the door looking for work eleswhere. If you really want in this industry there are ways in without having your A&P, but they are extremely low paying and are few and far between other than an MRO or GA environment.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I'm assuming the cabin maintenance is for interiors mechanic which I have seen them hire guys with no experience for those positions. As far as overtime goes, when I worked there you could work as much overtime as you wanted and then some. You can work 10-12 hr days and work Saturday and Sunday. I'm not sure what positions they have open on there website for Macon, but I do know that they are always hiring non stop because, like all other MRO's, they are a revolving door. They may only open that sheet metal trainee position every 3 or 4 months so that they can train a group of guys and start a new group after that. Be aware the company, like a lot of companies in aviation, have a sink or swim mentality. You either pick it up quickly and on the fly or you will quickly be ou the door looking for work eleswhere. If you really want in this industry there are ways in without having your A&P, but they are extremely low paying and are few and far between other than an MRO or GA environment.
    Yes it is the interiors mechanic I was referring to. I might try that as anything above 12 an hour would be more desirable. Add in overtime and it might be decent newbie pay?

    The part of your post that really interests me is the sink or swim. Would you say that this company or even MRO's in general would be more likely to expect me to pick it up on my own than other employers? I guess what I really mean... could this be a sort of litmus test that if I were not quick enough on the uptake in a place like this I shouldn't be trying to fix planes?

    This interests me as a place to attempt to get my feet wet and learn; pay some dues. But I am still wavering on going to A&P school first. I kind of feel like nothing is going to really teach me how to work on planes besides working on planes though.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    26
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Rogue55, I most sincerely mean no offense but be sure you have no criminal convictions because you most likely won't be able to get a A&P license if you do. The background checks needed to get access to aircraft since 9/11 are unbelievable. We've had guys loose their jobs after long term employment trying to comply with the new background checks and something from their past came up.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Yankeeland
    Posts
    1,103
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ahrendt View Post
    Rogue55, I most sincerely mean no offense but be sure you have no criminal convictions because you most likely won't be able to get a A&P license if you do. The background checks needed to get access to aircraft since 9/11 are unbelievable. We've had guys loose their jobs after long term employment trying to comply with the new background checks and something from their past came up.
    Sure that ain't just the CDA? I had one of y'alls asshole yankee cops try and arrest me at MDW. God I hate the CDA, and Chicago... Burn this place to the ground.

    Had some CDA loser passed out in the lineshack over the the GA side of ORD... Got all pissed off at me because I woke her up so I could actually leave the airport... Chicago is just a sad place.
    Last edited by brettboat; 05-16-2017 at 08:34 AM.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ahrendt View Post
    Rogue55, I most sincerely mean no offense but be sure you have no criminal convictions because you most likely won't be able to get a A&P license if you do. The background checks needed to get access to aircraft since 9/11 are unbelievable. We've had guys loose their jobs after long term employment trying to comply with the new background checks and something from their past came up.
    Thanks for that, but thankfully I have nothing shady in my past like that. I have squandered educational opportunities in my 20s to be sure, but nothing criminal. I'm also as far as one can possibly be away from controlled substances, I even avoid alcohol.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Chicagoland
    Posts
    26
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Sure that ain't just the CDA? I had one of y'alls asshole yankee cops try and arrest me at MDW. God I hate the CDA, and Chicago... Burn this place to the ground.

    Had some CDA loser passed out in the lineshack over the the GA side of ORD... Got all pissed off at me because I woke her up so I could actually leave the airport... Chicago is just a sad place.
    No it's not just the CDA. You have US Customs and TSA to recertify with almost annually. The yearly badge renewal is easily the worst part of working at ORD.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,387
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    SIDA

    Security
    Identification
    Display
    Area

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Sure that ain't just the CDA? I had one of y'alls asshole yankee cops try and arrest me at MDW. God I hate the CDA, and Chicago... Burn this place to the ground.

    Had some CDA loser passed out in the lineshack over the the GA side of ORD... Got all pissed off at me because I woke her up so I could actually leave the airport... Chicago is just a sad place.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast