Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    SIDA

Security
    Identification
    Display
    Area

Steve
    You are correct but in Chicago we have the Chicago Department of Aviation to deal with.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Oh

lol I thought it was a phonetic SIDA

lol

My bad

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ahrendt View Post
    You are correct but in Chicago we have the Chicago Department of Aviation to deal with.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I wouldn't hesitate to start over at 37. I'm probably going to work till 67, maybe even 72.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Oh

lol I thought it was a phonetic SIDA

lol

My bad

Steve
    Steve, CDA is horrible. Only airport worse than MDW/ORD in regards to security is JFK and lagrabage

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Ahrendt View Post
    No it's not just the CDA. You have US Customs and TSA to recertify with almost annually. The yearly badge renewal is easily the worst part of working at ORD.
    You gotta do the same thing at MDW. I don't work in the SIDA, only the AOA thank god! But the guys in the office next to me have a contract to work all the international stuff at MDW so they gotta deal with customs renewal and such. Shit sucks man. I heard if you try and go through the main gate at ORD during the day they use like drug sniffing dogs and open your trunk... Heard it's horrible.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I really appreciate all the solid advice from you guys.

I'm thinking if i jump onto this mro at Haeco, assuming they take me, i might be setting myself up for failure. I think i will still put in a resume and see what happens. But I'm leaning towards an 18 month school like AIM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    I really appreciate all the solid advice from you guys.

I'm thinking if i jump onto this mro at Haeco, assuming they take me, i might be setting myself up for failure. I think i will still put in a resume and see what happens. But I'm leaning towards an 18 month school like AIM.
    I just read an article online that says delta has started some sort of partnership with AIM in Atlanta and Dallas, so that may be something to look into as well. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to Haeco as an apprentice mechanic so to speak hoping to get signed off to take your A&P test. You will eventually get signed off after 3 years or so if you are motivated and keep up with all the required documentation, but you will be required to sign a contract committing yourself to the company for 2+ years after they pay for it. Also, I have seen far to many people start out hoping to get signed off and just get caught up in every day life and just lose motivation all together. Before you know it you will have been there 4-5 years making the same shitty wages and working your ass off at a dead end job with no forseable future without your A&P license. Trust me I have seen it happen more than a handful of times. Honestly, if I were you, I would just go to school, get my A&P, and see where it takes me. At least with the A&P you have options and the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself. Like Brett has said there is money out there in this industry and the only thing that holds people with an A&P back are the limitations they place on themselves.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Laborer at an MRO will suck the life out of you man

Cargo Pits, Paneling, un-paneling, carrying seats in and out of 75,767 is not the way to develop a love of Aviation Maintenance.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I just read an article online that says delta has started some sort of partnership with AIM in Atlanta and Dallas, so that may be something to look into as well. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to Haeco as an apprentice mechanic so to speak hoping to get signed off to take your A&P test. You will eventually get signed off after 3 years or so if you are motivated and keep up with all the required documentation, but you will be required to sign a contract committing yourself to the company for 2+ years after they pay for it. Also, I have seen far to many people start out hoping to get signed off and just get caught up in every day life and just lose motivation all together. Before you know it you will have been there 4-5 years making the same shitty wages and working your ass off at a dead end job with no forseable future without your A&P license. Trust me I have seen it happen more than a handful of times. Honestly, if I were you, I would just go to school, get my A&P, and see where it takes me. At least with the A&P you have options and the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself. Like Brett has said there is money out there in this industry and the only thing that holds people with an A&P back are the limitations they place on themselves.
    I think you are seeing too much value in the A&P. There are sooo many out there and it's not required to do the job. Pilots are the only ones that have to be certificated and get automatic career progression from GA to regional then major, mechanics don't. No amount of education, experience, or seniority will guarantee a promotion. My pilot friends are all making captain right now, from seniority alone. I would be getting day shift if my job had not been sent to Mexico. All my airline experience won't even get an interview. Go figure.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I know AIM will be a more expensive route, but maybe not if it saves me from years of sweat shop work with nothing to show for it. Especially if I can keep my current job and go there nights and weekends which they offer. I know the A&P is just the beginning but it will also open options that are not necessarily aviation related. We will see where it takes me for sure.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast