Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Laborer at an MRO will suck the life out of you man

Cargo Pits, Paneling, un-paneling, carrying seats in and out of 75,767 is not the way to develop a love of Aviation Maintenance.
    This made me chuckle but only because I am sure its true. I think I want to avoid life draining. I'm sort of already there these days.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Get the A&P otherwise your a laborer

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    I know AIM will be a more expensive route, but maybe not if it saves me from years of sweat shop work with nothing to show for it. Especially if I can keep my current job and go there nights and weekends which they offer. I know the A&P is just the beginning but it will also open options that are not necessarily aviation related. We will see where it takes me for sure.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Get the A&P otherwise your a laborer

Steve
    No kidding.

When I worked at the passenger airline, the people that removed and installed seats were non-licensed.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    No kidding.

When I worked at the passenger airline, the people that removed and installed seats were non-licensed.
    Southwest had a cabin crew, their work was excellent. Dalfort had a lot of repairman, they were the most experienced guys in the shop at the time. Delta made mechanics do everything, even dive tanks. Specialty shops were gravy, those were reserved for Airforce buddies.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It's never too late to follow your dreams. Work will always be work, I love what I do, but it still beats the tar out of me some days. I went the mechanics helper route to a A&P 20 years ago, I always liked being paid to learn as opposed to the other way around. I worked my way into avionics, and a IA authority, your career is all about how much effort you are willing to put into it. I would recommend hitting all the GA shops around, just walk right in and ask if they are looking for any shop/mechanics helpers, you can always get us talking about aviation, and a good face to face conversation will always brings more results than a phone call or email. Three years of GA experience and a A&P will make you a far more solid and well rounded mech than three years at a MRO working heavy checks. It's all a starting point, and you can go many directions from there, but a solid knowledge base is a fundamental requirement.
    I've worked cargo, airlines (Alaska), GA and DOD, and while this business means lots of travel, long hours, and crazy situations, it has never, for one day been boring.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well said

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I just read an article online that says delta has started some sort of partnership with AIM in Atlanta and Dallas, so that may be something to look into as well. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to Haeco as an apprentice mechanic so to speak hoping to get signed off to take your A&P test. You will eventually get signed off after 3 years or so if you are motivated and keep up with all the required documentation, but you will be required to sign a contract committing yourself to the company for 2+ years after they pay for it. Also, I have seen far to many people start out hoping to get signed off and just get caught up in every day life and just lose motivation all together. Before you know it you will have been there 4-5 years making the same shitty wages and working your ass off at a dead end job with no forseable future without your A&P license. Trust me I have seen it happen more than a handful of times. Honestly, if I were you, I would just go to school, get my A&P, and see where it takes me. At least with the A&P you have options and the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself. Like Brett has said there is money out there in this industry and the only thing that holds people with an A&P back are the limitations they place on themselves.
    They do but it's interiors

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    They do but it's interiors
    Foot in the door though.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by CCgypsyblood View Post
    It's never too late to follow your dreams. Work will always be work, I love what I do, but it still beats the tar out of me some days. I went the mechanics helper route to a A&P 20 years ago, I always liked being paid to learn as opposed to the other way around. I worked my way into avionics, and a IA authority, your career is all about how much effort you are willing to put into it. I would recommend hitting all the GA shops around, just walk right in and ask if they are looking for any shop/mechanics helpers, you can always get us talking about aviation, and a good face to face conversation will always brings more results than a phone call or email. Three years of GA experience and a A&P will make you a far more solid and well rounded mech than three years at a MRO working heavy checks. It's all a starting point, and you can go many directions from there, but a solid knowledge base is a fundamental requirement.
    I've worked cargo, airlines (Alaska), GA and DOD, and while this business means lots of travel, long hours, and crazy situations, it has never, for one day been boring.
    I like this. So, say i walk in to one of these shops down the street like Atlantic aviation or Epps for example. I don't really want to talk to the front counter reps. Who do i ask for? Who am i looking to face to face with?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Smaller shops more likely to use you, larger shops are corporate and worry about everything. Typically shop owner or the DOM

While I was studying I got a job at an Engine shop doing the shit work like sandblasting and scotch brighting stuff. BUT if learned me up a little LOL

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    I like this. So, say i walk in to one of these shops down the street like Atlantic aviation or Epps for example. I don't really want to talk to the front counter reps. Who do i ask for? Who am i looking to face to face with?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast