Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 72
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,541
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Well said
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    1,139
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (JLewis) View Post
    I just read an article online that says delta has started some sort of partnership with AIM in Atlanta and Dallas, so that may be something to look into as well. Personally, I wouldn't recommend going to Haeco as an apprentice mechanic so to speak hoping to get signed off to take your A&P test. You will eventually get signed off after 3 years or so if you are motivated and keep up with all the required documentation, but you will be required to sign a contract committing yourself to the company for 2+ years after they pay for it. Also, I have seen far to many people start out hoping to get signed off and just get caught up in every day life and just lose motivation all together. Before you know it you will have been there 4-5 years making the same shitty wages and working your ass off at a dead end job with no forseable future without your A&P license. Trust me I have seen it happen more than a handful of times. Honestly, if I were you, I would just go to school, get my A&P, and see where it takes me. At least with the A&P you have options and the only limitations are the ones you put on yourself. Like Brett has said there is money out there in this industry and the only thing that holds people with an A&P back are the limitations they place on themselves.
    They do but it's interiors

  3. #33
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    They do but it's interiors
    Foot in the door though.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    19
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CCgypsyblood View Post
    It's never too late to follow your dreams. Work will always be work, I love what I do, but it still beats the tar out of me some days. I went the mechanics helper route to a A&P 20 years ago, I always liked being paid to learn as opposed to the other way around. I worked my way into avionics, and a IA authority, your career is all about how much effort you are willing to put into it. I would recommend hitting all the GA shops around, just walk right in and ask if they are looking for any shop/mechanics helpers, you can always get us talking about aviation, and a good face to face conversation will always brings more results than a phone call or email. Three years of GA experience and a A&P will make you a far more solid and well rounded mech than three years at a MRO working heavy checks. It's all a starting point, and you can go many directions from there, but a solid knowledge base is a fundamental requirement.
    I've worked cargo, airlines (Alaska), GA and DOD, and while this business means lots of travel, long hours, and crazy situations, it has never, for one day been boring.
    I like this. So, say i walk in to one of these shops down the street like Atlantic aviation or Epps for example. I don't really want to talk to the front counter reps. Who do i ask for? Who am i looking to face to face with?

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,541
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Smaller shops more likely to use you, larger shops are corporate and worry about everything. Typically shop owner or the DOM

    While I was studying I got a job at an Engine shop doing the shit work like sandblasting and scotch brighting stuff. BUT if learned me up a little LOL


    Steve


    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    I like this. So, say i walk in to one of these shops down the street like Atlantic aviation or Epps for example. I don't really want to talk to the front counter reps. Who do i ask for? Who am i looking to face to face with?
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CCgypsyblood View Post
    It's never too late to follow your dreams. Work will always be work, I love what I do, but it still beats the tar out of me some days. I went the mechanics helper route to a A&P 20 years ago, I always liked being paid to learn as opposed to the other way around. I worked my way into avionics, and a IA authority, your career is all about how much effort you are willing to put into it. I would recommend hitting all the GA shops around, just walk right in and ask if they are looking for any shop/mechanics helpers, you can always get us talking about aviation, and a good face to face conversation will always brings more results than a phone call or email. Three years of GA experience and a A&P will make you a far more solid and well rounded mech than three years at a MRO working heavy checks. It's all a starting point, and you can go many directions from there, but a solid knowledge base is a fundamental requirement.
    I've worked cargo, airlines (Alaska), GA and DOD, and while this business means lots of travel, long hours, and crazy situations, it has never, for one day been boring.
    Three years in GA will make you a more solid GA mechanic, you still wont know that NAS hardware even exists. It will give you a light touch that no ham fisted airline mechanic will ever know. Different animals and different worlds that have little correlation as far as maintenance is concerned. The fundamental problem is that everyone wants to be in aviation creating an oversupply of mechanics. This has been killing the job market for decades. More hangars have closed than opened since 2005. Experienced mechanics have been pushed out of the industry and the whole time thousands of new A&Ps are being made.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-18-2017 at 09:47 PM.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,541
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Once again Kevbo sees and writes with authority something he knows little about.

    The BEST mechanics in aviation are GA mechanics, for MANY reasons. Mainly there is no parachute. You install a cylinder, a mag, an engine, a wing, and aileron and no one has to look at it. Most GA customers are finicky picky successful people, so you learn the golden rule, CLEAN as you go, keep your tools organized and your work area. These are lost in most of the airlines I have worked for, for lots of reasons.

    The transition from a Jet Engine Mechanic to a Part 145 Piper Service Center) high line competitive shop was not bad. I scraped by on my O&P because the DME ( I wrote an article about him a few years ago ) TS Alphin liked my work ethic and my desire to learn so he cut me some slack and gave me my ticket. I had Zero knowledge of airframe beyond what I did in the USAF.

    The next 10 or so years I worked in other 145, and then got exposed to the down and dirty 135 World, which in these times was a dirty dirty business. But I never forgot what I was taught at my first real A&P job and I applied it. That coupled with a good attitude and a better than average skillset, made me a valued mechanic and I had no problems finding work.

    In 97 I hit my first real 121 job, it was a shock to say the least. I am not going to disparage the people I worked for, so let me say the culture of the base I was at was not what I had been used to, I was hired initially as a MX Coordinator/Gate Maintenance Supervisor. I applied my work ethics, I was threatened, spit on, my job was subverted by people trying to get me fired, and I was harassed for about 1.5 years. When the Leads won, and had my job turned into basically a radio jockey, I took a 10 dollar an hour pay cut and went to work on the floor/ramp. I was extremely resentful, I didn't like most of the people I worked with, nor they me. It got really bad when I used my training in GA and I kicked some serious ass on the flight line. I used judgment, I cleaned up, I went above and beyond on a regular basis and since I was constantly under attack personally I developed a sort of contempt for the guys who would make me do 75% of the write-ups so they could sleep or play Xbox. Eventually my efforts paid off, in that many of the solid guys admired my skills and work performance. I stayed in that job for 14 years through good and bad, getting backstabbed every time I made a mistake. And I made a few trust me. If your good, if you build a skillset, if you can do the job, you'll be fine. Some guys have very limited skillsets AND a shitty attitude. We call those guys Chocks. Because they are freaking worthless.

    And the sky is falling guy Kevbo, is only still here because I abhor censorship But its becoming clear it is needed at times.

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Three years in GA will make you a more solid GA mechanic, you still wont know that NAS hardware even exists. It will give you a light touch that no ham fisted airline mechanic will ever know. Different animals and different worlds that have little correlation as far as maintenance is concerned. The fundamental problem is that everyone wants to be in aviation creating an oversupply of mechanics. This has been killing the job market for decades. More hangars have closed than opened since 2005. Experienced mechanics have been pushed out of the industry and the whole time thousands of new A&Ps are being made.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Right now, GA is my only exposure to aviation maintenance. I help another mechanic when he needs it. Not a bad deal since we get to fly everything in the fleet for free. Many jobs are a PITA (like engine cables on a baron) but nothing is technically challenging. The biggest difference is everything is lighter, older, and more fragile. Not breaking existing parts is the most difficult part. I guess my perspective changed when it became a hobby for me. I can't imagine trying to make a living at it anymore though.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    1,139
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue55 View Post
    Foot in the door though.
    Same as throwing bags lol. And there are alot of A&Ps still throwing bags in Atlanta.

    Delta is not the end all, be all once so ever. Neither is Atlanta itself. The overtime is pretty much gone, you can MAYBE get 10/hrs a week on average. Pretty much flat out impossible to make 6 figures as a floor tech these days. Unless its my race truck, I won't pick up a wrench for less than $100k.

    Same can be said about Gulfstream, after that G650 program ended and then sold so horribly overtime there is pretty much gone. You're not even allowed to work over a 12 hour day at Gulfstream, even if you're on their AOG team. Gulfstreams all around suck anyways, everything is big, manual sucks and they're always broken.
    Last edited by brettboat; 05-19-2017 at 01:34 AM.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Same as throwing bags lol. And there are alot of A&Ps still throwing bags in Atlanta.

    Delta is not the end all, be all once so ever. Neither is Atlanta itself. The overtime is pretty much gone, you can MAYBE get 10/hrs a week on average. Pretty much flat out impossible to make 6 figures as a floor tech these days. Unless its my race truck, I won't pick up a wrench for less than $100k.

    Same can be said about Gulfstream, after that G650 program ended and then sold so horribly overtime there is pretty much gone. You're not even allowed to work over a 12 hour day at Gulfstream, even if you're on their AOG team. Gulfstreams all ariound suck anyways, everything is big, manual sucks and they're always broken.
    Are A&ps really throwing bags at airlines and boxes at FedEx?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast