Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Hello

Hey. Hows it going everyone? I signed up on this site like 3 years ago and never posted for some reason. Ive had my A&P for a little over 3 years now doing manfacturing work for engines. I finally realized how much I hate it eventhough the moneys great and have been looking to try to get on with the airlines. Been trying Delta LAX with no luck (Family is out there) and other bases. I've heard airlines are hiring in hard to staff bases without airframe exp. How much is that true? Thought about doing contracting, but it seems like im stuck with working on engines for now. I hate the repetitive work. Anyways just wanted to say hello to everyone!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Yes, airlines are hiring and junior employees are forced to go where ever no one else wants to live. If you get in early you may be able to bid better stations within a year. If you're late in the hiring cycle, you will be stuck until the next. The last cycle ended in 2001. Getting a job with a major now would most likely be very good seniority wise.
    Last edited by kevbo; 05-30-2017 at 12:30 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Keep trying Are you working on engines that are in airliners? Manufacturing or teardown and buildup?

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Send a application to United, they're hiring. When I hired on I worked in the Jet Shop building JT8D and CF6 engines. I loved it but after 2.5 years it was getting old and I bid the line to get back home.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Ive put in some applications so im just waiting now. Hopefully I get a call back soon. Yes the engine I work on goes on the Boeing 777. We buildup mostly, but we teardown as well. What other bases other then jfk are easier to get into?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would apply for jobs with the company you want to work with. But for the not as nice locations. After getting in the system. Then apply for the locations you want. Or just wait and see what happens.

Next question is you have a good paying inside job. Is it that bad that you are you ready to service lavatory's in New York on Christmas day?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

If you're asking me about UAL at JFK, we have mechanics at almost every big airport we fly mainline aircraft to. Some of the hub stations are; LAX, SFO, DEN, ORD, then the continental stations, IAH or CLE and others which I really don't know about. The Jet Shop in SFO would be a shoe-in for you with your experience. I would recommend a line station (ORD, DEN, LAX) rather than overhaul (SFO, IAH) as the work is much more interesting.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Ive applied with UAL in SFO and DL in LAX recently. Still waiting. I didnt know they had an engine shop there in SFO. Hopefully I hear back from one of the majors. Its hard leaving a nice cushy paying job, but I got my A&P to work on planes and I'm okay with changing the type of work enviroment. I turned wrenches on cars for years I miss fixing things. Maybe Im naive, Who knows.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by alxNC View Post
    Ive applied with UAL in SFO and DL in LAX recently. Still waiting. I didnt know they had an engine shop there in SFO. Hopefully I hear back from one of the majors. Its hard leaving a nice cushy paying job, but I got my A&P to work on planes and I'm okay with changing the type of work enviroment. I turned wrenches on cars for years I miss fixing things. Maybe Im naive, Who knows.
    A long time ago I turned down an offer to work test cell at Allison Gas Turbine in Indianapolis (now Rolls Royce), because after receiving the offer I thought long and hard about why I got into aircraft maintenance. I've never regretted that decision. I find great satisfaction in being involved with returning broken aircraft to service.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    A long time ago I turned down an offer to work test cell at Allison Gas Turbine in Indianapolis (now Rolls Royce), because after receiving the offer I thought long and hard about why I got into aircraft maintenance. I've never regretted that decision. I find great satisfaction in being involved with returning broken aircraft to service.
    I had a relatively cushy job when I went to A&P school. I stayed 5yrs afterward waiting for wages to rise enough to live on. Aviation was exciting but also hard work. Now I'm couped up in an air conditioned room with very little to do. I listen to audio books and do market research to fight boredom. When you get older its not so bad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast