Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Hello

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

This is one reason I say don't go to school for an A&P. If you are going to pay money for an education, find something that is widely marketable. As a mechanic your employment window is so short that making it into a good job and staying in the industry is a matter of luck. Now I have all the experience every employer claimed they needed but that occurs at an age that is too high for consideration. At least pilots can get hired with experience. Think about your future!
    Last edited by kevbo; 06-10-2017 at 12:40 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

The next time I see this. I'm deleting your account

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    This is one reason I say don't go to school for an A&P. If you are going to pay money for an education, find something that is widely marketable. As a mechanic your employment window is so short that making it into a good job and staying in the industry is a matter of luck. Now I have all the experience every employer claimed they needed but that occurs at an age that is too high for consideration. At least pilots can get hired with experience. Think about your future!
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

As this is a much digressed thread beginning with one person saying hello, please repost this under your own hello post. I'll allow you to push your website, maybe you'll have better luck than I making it a technical thing. And take Kevbo with you, he can tell every new user that signs up how bad being an A&P sucks.

Steve

And start a separate thread on frustration, THATS the meat of the problem. But not in this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Rotate.Aero View Post
    First post......
    I am seeing quite of bit of frustration on these pages. Being older than most that visit here, I have seen and gone through my fair share of the feces. I got lucky 19 years ago to get on with FedEx.

For the younger guys, all hope is not lost. From what I'm seeing, the airlines are starting to understand the tremendous future needs for pilots and mechanics. All the Vietnam guys are finally gone. Next up are the guys in my age range (50-65) and there are a bunch of us. I'm seeing some walking out right now. I'm thinking about 8 more for me (out at 65).

There are "not" that many middle age and certainly not that many young bucks floating around the FedEx system. The company "does not" want to hire 40+ year old's. They have a Maintenance Tech Training system in place now. New folks start out as assistants, but they do make full AMT with full pay after six years. It was 3 years, but out of the goodness of their hearts, they stretched it out. Seniority time starts on the first day of joining the MTT ranks.

FedEx "wants" the young bucks and they're willing to hire people with no experience. Throw some boxes...... watch the openings...... grab a wrench. It does mean Memphis, LA, Indy, or Newark to start with.

Also of note is the fact that FedEx absolutely screwed us on our retirements. Us "middle-of-the-roaders" got the worst of it, but all new hires fall under their "Portable Pension Plan" which totally sucks. I've got a pretty strong feeling all the airlines have followed suit.

Moving on to heroes or zeros, I call them hitters or sitters.
    I've worked both commercial and corporate...... it's really doesn't matter, slugs are everywhere. Percentage wise, 50% of mechanics are useless pukes (my term "slow-leaks"), 30% go through the motions (not excelling, just doing what they have to), and 20% who really have their shit together.

You pick where you want to fit in those three groups. Personally...... I hate the sitters and I'm not afraid to call them out for what they are. The 30% in the middle...... I'm not up on them either. They never make the extra effort to learn anything. At 20 years, they can replace parts, but not much more. Now the last 20%..... hard workers...... good troubleshooters..... never leave you hanging.

I have the upmost respect for those in the 20% group and I remember every one of them that I've worked with.

If you want to learn...... http://rotate.aero

I'm throwing it out as best I can.

Mark Francis
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    My pay just keeps going up and up and up. Looking at about $200k this year. I dont think this is a bad career unless you're just a bad tech

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Rotate.Aero View Post
    First post......
    I am seeing quite of bit of frustration on these pages. Being older than most that visit here, I have seen and gone through my fair share of the feces. I got lucky 19 years ago to get on with FedEx.

For the younger guys, all hope is not lost. From what I'm seeing, the airlines are starting to understand the tremendous future needs for pilots and mechanics. All the Vietnam guys are finally gone. Next up are the guys in my age range (50-65) and there are a bunch of us. I'm seeing some walking out right now. I'm thinking about 8 more for me (out at 65).

There are "not" that many middle age and certainly not that many young bucks floating around the FedEx system. The company "does not" want to hire 40+ year old's. They have a Maintenance Tech Training system in place now. New folks start out as assistants, but they do make full AMT with full pay after six years. It was 3 years, but out of the goodness of their hearts, they stretched it out. Seniority time starts on the first day of joining the MTT ranks.

FedEx "wants" the young bucks and they're willing to hire people with no experience. Throw some boxes...... watch the openings...... grab a wrench. It does mean Memphis, LA, Indy, or Newark to start with.

Also of note is the fact that FedEx absolutely screwed us on our retirements. Us "middle-of-the-roaders" got the worst of it, but all new hires fall under their "Portable Pension Plan" which totally sucks. I've got a pretty strong feeling all the airlines have followed suit.

Moving on to heroes or zeros, I call them hitters or sitters.
    I've worked both commercial and corporate...... it's really doesn't matter, slugs are everywhere. Percentage wise, 50% of mechanics are useless pukes (my term "slow-leaks"), 30% go through the motions (not excelling, just doing what they have to), and 20% who really have their shit together.

You pick where you want to fit in those three groups. Personally...... I hate the sitters and I'm not afraid to call them out for what they are. The 30% in the middle...... I'm not up on them either. They never make the extra effort to learn anything. At 20 years, they can replace parts, but not much more. Now the last 20%..... hard workers...... good troubleshooters..... never leave you hanging.

I have the upmost respect for those in the 20% group and I remember every one of them that I've worked with.

If you want to learn...... http://rotate.aero

I'm throwing it out as best I can.

Mark Francis
    Most aircraft mechanics dont make anywhere near what you make nor have a retirement plan, so they aren't going to be sympathetic about your employer changing their plan.

Doesn't a portable pension plan have some benefit over a traditional retirement plan? Like: If you die, it isn't lost, or reduced for your spouse.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    My pay just keeps going up and up and up. Looking at about $200k this year. I dont think this is a bad career unless you're just a bad tech
    I thought you already said you made that much.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Brett, this is a good economy right now, save that extra income!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Most aircraft mechanics dont make anywhere near what you make nor have a retirement plan, so they aren't going to be sympathetic about your employer changing their plan.

Doesn't a portable pension plan have some benefit over a traditional retirement plan? Like: If you die, it isn't lost, or reduced for your spouse.
    Everyone transitioned from a very rich free pension to a you fund it 401k. Old guys got to keep most of the free money, middle agers got some of it and new guys get nothing. My free pension rate is frozen at $70/month per year of service and I get the same 401k match as management. All free pensions ended shortly after 2009 when the interest rates dropped to zero.
    Last edited by kevbo; 06-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Portable pension plans are free, and not a 401k.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just an update, I heard back from United in SFO and started the interview process. I have to take a written and a practical test before so hopefully I do good. I read online that United has some good perks and benefits so hopefully everything works out. Ive never been with a company that does profit sharing do Im kind of curious about how that works

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234