Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Hello

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    My pay just keeps going up and up and up. Looking at about $200k this year. I dont think this is a bad career unless you're just a bad tech
    Brett, this is a good economy right now, save that extra income!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Most aircraft mechanics dont make anywhere near what you make nor have a retirement plan, so they aren't going to be sympathetic about your employer changing their plan.

Doesn't a portable pension plan have some benefit over a traditional retirement plan? Like: If you die, it isn't lost, or reduced for your spouse.
    Everyone transitioned from a very rich free pension to a you fund it 401k. Old guys got to keep most of the free money, middle agers got some of it and new guys get nothing. My free pension rate is frozen at $70/month per year of service and I get the same 401k match as management. All free pensions ended shortly after 2009 when the interest rates dropped to zero.
    Last edited by kevbo; 06-11-2017 at 02:02 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Portable pension plans are free, and not a 401k.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for all the responses guys. Just an update, I heard back from United in SFO and started the interview process. I have to take a written and a practical test before so hopefully I do good. I read online that United has some good perks and benefits so hopefully everything works out. Ive never been with a company that does profit sharing do Im kind of curious about how that works

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That's Great News alxNC! I'm sure you'll do fine.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345