Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Adding inspection panels

Are there any Advisory Circulars or any "acceptable data" from the FAA pertaining to adding an inspection panel to an aircraft?

I have a customer who would like to add an inspection panel to his cowling. Trying to get as much data as possible.

Thanks guys.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

337 required. Possibly with a DER or manufacturer EO

Just went through this with a Bonanaza wing panel

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    337 required. Possibly with a DER or manufacturer EO

Just went through this with a Bonanaza wing panel

Steve
    ouch....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well as it was explained to me, some people just do it LOL

But me being an Airline guy that would be incredibly unthinkable.

But look at the downside, you make a panel, in the air at 165 MPH it stresses the structure it is on, and something fails, maybe jagged metal comes through the windscreen or cuts a Horizontal Stab in half, killing everyone.

This is why its such a big deal, even though it would SEEM to be not a huge deal.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    ouch....

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Well as it was explained to me, some people just do it LOL

But me being an Airline guy that would be incredibly unthinkable.

But look at the downside, you make a panel, in the air at 165 MPH it stresses the structure it is on, and something fails, maybe jagged metal comes through the windscreen or cuts a Horizontal Stab in half, killing everyone.

This is why its such a big deal, even though it would SEEM to be not a huge deal.

Steve
    What is the panel in question?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    What is the panel in question?
    I wanted to know if anyone has installed a inspection panel on the lower cowling for easier access to the oil drain plug. I know we can get to them with tubes and funnels but was seeing if anyone has done it in the past....legally.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I'm assuming your talking a GA plane?

Like for a 50 hour?

Problem is your supposed to check the screen when applicable. Also they have quick drains that make it easier.

I have never seen a panel specifically for this purpose, but I WILL agree some of the older 172, 182, 185 etc it takes longer to take the cowls off than to do the oil change.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
    I wanted to know if anyone has installed a inspection panel on the lower cowling for easier access to the oil drain plug. I know we can get to them with tubes and funnels but was seeing if anyone has done it in the past....legally.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm assuming your talking a GA plane?

Like for a 50 hour?

Problem is your supposed to check the screen when applicable. Also they have quick drains that make it easier.

I have never seen a panel specifically for this purpose, but I WILL agree some of the older 172, 182, 185 etc it takes longer to take the cowls off than to do the oil change.

Steve
    Yes for a GA plane. With unleaded fuels becoming more popular and more available I have had a few pilots ask about 100 hour oil changes. Lycomings SB480F and Service Letter L270 give instructions on what and how to do this. Now I am totally for 50 hour servicing, I couldnt tell you how many major items I have found during an oil change. But in the event a pilot still wants to change his oil and filter every 100 hours (or 4 months, whichever occurs first) and still bring the aircraft in for all the other items that require inspected, an inspection panel would benefit some of the pilots. I was seeing if there was data out there that someone has already been approved. It would aid all other future applications with the approval process.

But yes some of the older models, a panel would make it easier. It's not impossible, but hey, if they want to pay for it, I'll gladly go through the hassle.