Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Designated Airworthiness Representative

Anybody a DAR here? Is it worth the investment to become one? How do you become one? What can I do with it?

Could I make some money using it?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Jmann View Post
    Anybody a DAR here? Is it worth the investment to become one? How do you become one? What can I do with it?

Could I make some money using it?
    LOL You can make a LOT of money with one. Thats why VERY few are granted, only for extra special good buddies! Any certificate above an A&P is protected territory because it makes for easy money. They are beginning to get picky about IAs. The new written test is different than the published answers, a friend recently got over 90% and the FAA guy said it wasnt possible.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Looks like FAA Order 8000.95, Volume 5, is your answer to how. It starts on page 162 of the pdf, if you download the order with both changes. It can be found here:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...mentID/1023947

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Per 8000.95

b. Selection Considerations.
    (1) When a need for a designee has been identified, the field office management will
    query DMS for a listing of qualified applicants.
    Note: DMS is the sole source from which to obtain qualified applicants.
    (2) Under normal circumstances, DMS will generate a listing of qualified applicants
    fulfilling the specific requirements set forth by the field office.
    (3) An evaluation panel, determined by the selecting official, will then be established to
    review and evaluate the list of viable applicants identified through DMS.
    (4) DMS replaces the initial applicant screening process previously held by the National
    Examiner Board (NEB). DMS automatically produces a list of the qualified applicants for each
    designee type based on the experience, credentials, background, and geographic requirements
    specified by field office management.

So If one was to pursue this, you will have to find the DMS in your area and inquire about applying or finding out the process of when they are accepting applications. But looking into getting the required training to become a DAR, quite expensive for all the training.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You are dealing with the same bunch that granted all those foreign repair stations at a time when mechanics were losing their jobs locally.