Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Seeking advice vol. getting desperate

Been out of school for a year and have passed all my writtens and took my O&P in February and unfortunately failed and have been stuck since. (even after attending AvTech). Coming out of a part 147 trade school without any prior experience in the aviation field. I feel as if I've forgot everything I learned and finding it tough to retain information studying on my own since I want to learn the information and not just memorize answers.

I tried researching for O&P prep courses/review classes specifically to prepare me for the O&P locally to avoid the cost of hotel, airfare, course+DME cost and most importantly time off of work since everything I find is out of state. I already have signed up to re-attend the AvTech course once more but, the wait time is until October.

Any advice fellas? I feel like I'm right at the door step just knocking on the door for my certification, but stuck lol.

I already got a great opportunity by getting hired for a contracted company to work the line at LAX without experience but, won't let me start until I have at least the temporary certification.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just keep studying and get your ticket. Don't worry about losing out on that LA gig. It will still be around because the cost of living is too high. Now is the first time in this century you can be a little picky about your first job. My friends in GA are having to pay $20/hr for decent non certificated help.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

What happened that you failed the oral and practicals? Maybe you could find someone else to give them to you than where you went in February.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Be specific even by PM about what happened.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by AllForTheTicket View Post
    Been out of school for a year and have passed all my writtens and took my O&P in February and unfortunately failed and have been stuck since. (even after attending AvTech). Coming out of a part 147 trade school without any prior experience in the aviation field. I feel as if I've forgot everything I learned and finding it tough to retain information studying on my own since I want to learn the information and not just memorize answers.

I tried researching for O&P prep courses/review classes specifically to prepare me for the O&P locally to avoid the cost of hotel, airfare, course+DME cost and most importantly time off of work since everything I find is out of state. I already have signed up to re-attend the AvTech course once more but, the wait time is until October.

Any advice fellas? I feel like I'm right at the door step just knocking on the door for my certification, but stuck lol.

I already got a great opportunity by getting hired for a contracted company to work the line at LAX without experience but, won't let me start until I have at least the temporary certification.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Ok, if you read this, its good advice. For the purpose of passing the test, memorize the answers. If you want to learn all the information referenced in an A&P test it will take about 60 years. An A&P is a license to learn, a starting point, proof that you put in the required hours and take the field seriously. Memorize the answers. Get a Test Booklet highlight the Question, and ONLY the correct answer. THIS is your oral test. They usually only ask questions from the book, if you don't know an answer, do not guess simply say you don't know. But STUDY by Rote

As far as the practical they want to see you go look for the data in the manual, or to maybe use the right tool.

Quote Originally Posted by AllForTheTicket View Post

You never have a second chance, to make a first impression