Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.

Thread: AA in Brazil

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default AA in Brazil

American Airlines is building a maintenance hangar in Brazil. Does anyone know if it will replace existing facilities in the USA?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The articles I've read on it all say that American has no intentions of moving maintenance overseas. The facility is supposed to be for line maintenance. Though if you look at the website for American's partner in the project, it has a sentence that to me is very telling. "The new hangar will provide a state-of-the-art environment in which extensive heavy maintenance can be performed, up to and including engine and landing gear replacements."

http://www.fsb-ae.com/project/americ...enance-hangar/

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Could it be part of an agreement with Brazil in order to operate there, they must use maintenance based There? European countries do that, not only that, they require operators to fly aircraft manufactured there.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    The articles I've read on it all say that American has no intentions of moving maintenance overseas. The facility is supposed to be for line maintenance. Though if you look at the website for American's partner in the project, it has a sentence that to me is very telling. "The new hangar will provide a state-of-the-art environment in which extensive heavy maintenance can be performed, up to and including engine and landing gear replacements."

http://www.fsb-ae.com/project/americ...enance-hangar/
    Engine and gear replacement is pretty normal line level mx

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I thought the "extensive heavy maintenance" was the telling part. Doing a search of American flights, there are two a day to Rio. One from MIA and one from JFK. They're going to have 2 ramp and 2 hangar spots at the new facility. If you have a minimum of two planes on the ground waiting to go back out, how much other work can you do in that facility? Just trying to help you sort it out.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

They must be doing well financially. I'm surprised they can't find a local vendor to handle that work.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

The company I work for has a large two bay hangar dedicated for line maintenance. It frequently sits empty, it is right now.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".