Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default The importance of a school's name

I'm currently looking at a&p school opportunities and am curious how important the name of the school is that I choose. I did see a couple posts stating that where you get your a&p isn't all that important, but I was hoping to get a more general consensus. I'm looking at the associates/a&p at swic in Granite City, IL, but it's a pretty small school. From what I'm seeing, it would only be an additional 8k or so to get the same training at embry riddle. Would it be worth the extra initial cost to have embry riddle on my resume? I'm taking a tour of swic next week and have a lot of questions for them, but obviously their answer to this kind of question would be bias.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Generally, it only matters to a select few that went to those "prestigious" schools. Most employers looking for A&P's only care that you have one, and what experience you have. Want to get into upper management, a Bachelor's from Embry Riddle may help.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Social groups within maintenance tend to be based on work/life experience. The number one social clique is based on military service. From there former employers, work experience, and hobbies determine your standing in the group. School is never mentioned so it doesn't matter. People in the office will often be known by where they went to school. A diploma will often be displayed in their office.
    Last edited by kevbo; 08-26-2017 at 09:39 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

My .02$, find out if the school is accredited to use the time for a degree later. Not just FAA approved.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Agree with Glenn,

Our Current VP has about 12 years in the field and a Degree from Riddle, a rocket to the top man

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and signed up with SWIC for their 1 year a&p / associates program. I'll be starting that at the end of October! I have an interview Friday with Ideal Aviation, a local FBO in Cahokia, IL. Hopefully I can land a part-time or even just a volunteer job while going through schooling to pad my resume a bit and make some connections.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

One year A&P/ Associate Degree, you're gonna be busy. Good luck, stay in contact, let us know how it's going.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks Glenn, I will. Getting the associates usually takes a bit longer, but I'm transferring my bachelors degree over which should negate several classes.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Sweet. Id hope the BS would negate much of the AS.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

This has been covered a few times. School name doesn't really matter thank god. A college degree only really holds weight in the major airlines, not so much the corporate world. I'd argue in the corporate world that a GED is as common as a BS.

That being said I'm not sure if a AS or BS is even a requirement for major airline management. Work experience and who your friends are seem to matter alot more