Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default using magnetized tools on aircraft

I am talking about tools that have been exposed to a magnet and are thus slightly magnetic. Not tools that contain a magnet.

Let's say you stored your tools on a magnetic organizer in your toolbox, such as the one pictured.

Now you go and use a socket or wrench that is slightly magnetized. Have you done wrong?
    Name:  Amazon_com__12_x_12_Magnetic_Tool_Organization_Panel__Automotive_?.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  22.0 KB

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Depends on the application,
    If I am doing work on a avionics system or sensitive systems, no magnetism is a good idea.
    If I am doing a tire change, no effect. I do not use magnetic holders for my tools. Auto Mechanics do though
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

In theory, yeah, you've probably done wrong. But, in practicality, magnetic tools, like screwdrivers holding apex tips and magnetic tool holders have been used extensively throughout the industry, never causing any serious problems, that I've heard of.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thank you for your replies.

Would the main concern be magnetic navigation systems?

I understand that compasses themselves should be adjusted with a brass screwdriver, but is there any possibility that a magnetized axle nut will affect compass operation?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

no, too far away and not strong enough.

The flux gates on the wings have non magnetic screws around them, but are 12 inches from steel screws.,

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

I understand that compasses themselves should be adjusted with a brass screwdriver, but is there any possibility that a magnetized axle nut will affect compass operation?
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    We have seen where the wrong (steel) hardware was used to mount the flux valve causing a problem. It was magnetized by a screw driver, causing the system to point > at all times. Was it the tools' fault, no. But lining the holes up in the Swiss cheese

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Steel hardware doesn't have to be magnetized to affect a compass. Iron affects the Earths lines of flux and just being in close proximity to a compass affects it.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Steel hardware doesn't have to be magnetized to affect a compass. Iron affects the Earths lines of flux and just being in close proximity to a compass affects it.
    Agreed, but in one of the cases we had, the washer would stick to any screw other steel screw we had