Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,400
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default FAR in 121 for type of flashlights required on aircraft?

    Anyone know?


    Thanks

    Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    289
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    §121.549 Flying equipment.
    (b) Each crewmember shall, on each flight, have readily available for his use a flashlight that is in good working order.

    When I started flying it was under a 125 certificate:
    §125.209
    (xiv) One flashlight having at least two size “D” cells or equivalent;

    Then I came across this:
    §135.159
    (3) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells or equivalent.

    That may be were the two "D" cell "standard" came from.
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because you’re dying, because you’re dead, because you’re one of the best in your field, or because you’re one of the worst. My question for you is, why don’t I hear people talking about you?” Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    289
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Note that I just copied the sections that said "flashlight" There is more text around the reg that would need to be reviewed.
    Also, a OPS-SPEC might have a requirement, or the TCDS, or the flight manual, or a flight manual supplement, or a company policy manual. An 14 CFR is not a one stop shop I have found.

    Thought about this driving to work...
    §91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.
    (1) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.


    If your 121 ops spec says all operations will be under 121, then just a flash light. If it says some flights (dead head, training, reposition, etc) will be under 91, then "two size “D” cells" are required.
    I would assume that since the 91 requirement is most restrictive, there has to be the "D" on board. It does not say it has to be carried on, it can stay there. Our A320 sim had a storage location and one in it.
    Last edited by mnttech; 09-06-2017 at 11:42 PM. Reason: more info

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,400
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Excellent information.


    I had a gate call where a cockpit flashlight was missing, and the only relief was a NEF that was worded as such

    NEF F11 requires the pilots have a flashlight of equivalent power. then goes on to specifically define equivalent power as a flashlight having a minimum of 2 D Cell Batteries.


    I had to go to home depot and specifically find a flashlight that used D Cell batteries, and without a magnet.

    Amazing, we are so far behind the curve in some ways.

    Steve




    Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    Note that I just copied the sections that said "flashlight" There is more text around the reg that would need to be reviewed.
    Also, a OPS-SPEC might have a requirement, or the TCDS, or the flight manual, or a flight manual supplement, or a company policy manual. An 14 CFR is not a one stop shop I have found.

    Thought about this driving to work...
    §91.503 Flying equipment and operating information.
    (1) A flashlight having at least two size “D” cells, or the equivalent, that is in good working order.


    If your 121 ops spec says all operations will be under 121, then just a flash light. If it says some flights (dead head, training, reposition, etc) will be under 91, then "two size “D” cells" are required.
    I would assume that since the 91 requirement is most restrictive, there has to be the "D" on board. It does not say it has to be carried on, it can stay there. Our A320 sim had a storage location and one in it.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    289
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    I had a gate call where a cockpit flashlight was missing,
    Hum, I did not know they had feet! Me thinks I know where it might have gone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    NEF F11 requires the pilots have a flashlight of equivalent power. then goes on to specifically define equivalent power as a flashlight having a minimum of 2 D Cell Batteries.
    Shame it does not do a wattage, lumens or some other standard.

    I learned something today, never heard of Non-Essential Equipment and Furnishings (NEF) before.
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because you’re dying, because you’re dead, because you’re one of the best in your field, or because you’re one of the worst. My question for you is, why don’t I hear people talking about you?” Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,117
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    I've never worked for a company that provided the pilot's flashlights.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    289
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    I've never worked for a company that provided the pilot's flashlights.
    Agreed. We (the FE) had to carry one. The A320 had a location built in for one.
    At least they paid for the batteries