Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Opinions on two college programs

Hi,

I'm looking to start a career in Aircraft Maintenance and am looking at two different college programs. The first is Albemare College in Barco, NC, and the other is Miramar College in San Diego, California. The reason for the difference is my girlfriend and I are considering places to live, and I am trying to research local programs to earn my certificate.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of either of these two schools? Any info is much appreciated.

-Jared

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would select the least expensive, taking into consideration everything, including cost of living, that probably means NC. The FAA has a required minimum curriculum that all schools must teach.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Career wise, you will do better getting a job throwing bags or boxes at a place that will pay for it. They all like promoting from within.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

NC will be a better choice cost of living wise, then relocate where you want.

Think FEDX When your within a year of finishing school, get a part time job throwing boxes at FedX and work hard, be a model employee. Your chances of being hired are so much greater.

Think long ball, not short term.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to start a career in Aircraft Maintenance and am looking at two different college programs. The first is Albemare College in Barco, NC, and the other is Miramar College in San Diego, California. The reason for the difference is my girlfriend and I are considering places to live, and I am trying to research local programs to earn my certificate.

Does anyone have any experience or opinions of either of these two schools? Any info is much appreciated.

-Jared
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for all the input. Living expense is definitely a concern. I am considering working line service at the regional airport and part time at UPS or FED EX. I have heard that some service companies and airlines will help pay for tuition as well and it would be nice to get two different company tuition contributions. I have also considered scholarships to help. I will stay in touch.