Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default A&P Oral and Practical Exams

Hi guys,
    About to go and take my Oral and Practical for my General and Airframe test here in a short while. Just curious as to what I should expect from the examiner? Any tips or pointers? What are the typical task they ask of you to do? Just want to be sure that I am fully prepared. Anything that I do to prepare my self the best possible way for it?

Thanks
    Dave

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Or has any body taken it within the past year or so?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I took my Orals and Practicals 34 years ago but I would say don't try to BS a answer to a question. You can't know everything nor does the examiner expect you to but you should know where to find the answer. Good Luck with your tests!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

All DMEs are different, I would ask him what is most important and offer to pay for tutoring. These guys have been reigned in by the FAA and no longer offer a guaranteed ticket. I know several who were not well prepared and failed. Back in the good ole days getting an A&P was a simple financial transaction.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I took my O&P over thirty five years ago, with the experience I have gathered, you are simply dealing with an individual and what THEY expect, mine was very straight forward, heavy on weight and balance, magneto timing, etc., in the end.........I explained to him how air cycle machines worked, passed with flying colors, and 150 bucks

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So much has changed over the years----this year was the biggest change. A computer will now spit out what questions are asked and what projects will be done. the DME does not have a choice anymore....he or she must now pull your exam from the FAA Computer
    Newton's Law of Aircraft Maintenance--The more times you ask "Are you done yet"--The Longer it will take me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by aeromech View Post
    So much has changed over the years----this year was the biggest change. A computer will now spit out what questions are asked and what projects will be done. the DME does not have a choice anymore....he or she must now pull your exam from the FAA Computer
    They finally found a way to clean up some of the corruption that has lead to decades of oversupply and low pay.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    They finally found a way to clean up some of the corruption that has lead to decades of oversupply and low pay.
    OK thanks guys.