Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    I never felt any sense of responsibility as a mechanic but liability is a concern now that I have something to lose. We do have a department that requires an A&P. I wont go there because it would mean giving up my air conditioned room for an extra dollar an hour. Not a good trade-off in Texas.
    Damn, more facts come out. Keep opening up. What a wus. And you lied, you're not making the same $ as A&P's. $40 a week doesnt sound like much, but that goes towards a nice dinner out with the wife, I'll take it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Damn, more facts come out. Keep opening up. What a wus. And you lied, you're not making the same $ as A&P's. $40 a week doesnt sound like much, but that goes towards a nice dinner out with the wife, I'll take it.
    To each his own!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default Good Reply

The short story of Military Aviation is the reason Military mechanics and civilian trained mechanics are so different.

The mission for the Military is to take raw soldiers and teach them intensively about one specific area of an aircraft.

The tech data is very specific, the rules are super strict and you learn quickly or you get drummed out or reassigned. As an example I was an engine guy, so I went to school for 3 or 4 months and all I learned was turbine engines. When you get to your base they give you a class on your plane, and the engines APU installed on it. QA and your trainer watch and check every thing that you do.

After a few years of this you go from a JEEP (Just Enough Education to Pass) , to a good engine, or hydraulic or whatever your specialty is.

It is the work ethic, and the rule following that most companies like a lot, that's why ex military NCO's get into management. Not to mention the military since its inception has probably spent billion designing processes that promote efficiency and safety.

Kids from A&P schools have little to offer compared to a 4 year Air Force Mechanic with an A&P Especially in this day and age.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    I chose not to join the Military. Growing up, I knew several former Airforce and Army mechanics. They could not answer any of my questions about aircraft when I was 16. Probably because by then I had learned to build and fly models and my interest were more in design and flight characteristics. I figured college was a better route for me, I was able to pursue a much broader range of interest than the Military would ever allow. While (eventually) the A&P did provide more adventure and money than I ever thought it could, it plateaued very quickly. Working in an engineering lab and flight test department was really the most intellectually satisfying work I ever had. Flying was a close second place. I got both of those jobs by building model airplanes and my A&P is now tucked away with my birth certificate.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567