Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Question Should I become an A&P Mechanic? Or take a different career path?

I'm a 20 year old Navy spouse who has no Aviation / Mechanical background and is still deciding whether or not I should still take that path. I started to become more interested in Aviation mechanic career path when my father-in-law mentioned that I should take up on it after he heard I was thinking about becoming a car mechanic service technician. I really do think it is interesting and I have began researching and reading the A&P Mechanics Airframe Handbook. I don t mind getting my hands dirty and all and that I have already requested more information about the program at an approved FAA college in Jacksonville, FL (I have not signed up for the school and classes! ). The only problem I have is that I don t know if I am confident enough to do all of this since I have no experience with Aviation and Mechs. I know I am in no rush and all since my husband will be in the Navy for three more years but it's just that I want to be doing something useful or out of my comfort zone in my life... I avoid courses that require you to take Eng 101 because I really can't tell the difference in English and know what's correct or not. For Math, I m fine with business math but not very good with Stats and Calculus... I was just wondering, besides my husband's words of advice (which is supporting!), if I should just stray away from Airframe & Powerplant Mechanic job? I'm still open-minded for both Auto mechanics and Aviation mechanics and that I know they're very different career paths. I have done a lot of research for auto mechanics and am interested in Honda Pact Program / T-Ten Program by Toyota since it does both education and hands-on training w/ the paid internship that's in Washington State (my hometown) but I want to stay close to the East Coast where my husband will be stationed in KingsBay, GA in April because I'm unsure if I can afford the program's certified college when my husband is away for sea duty and I doubt that the Basic Housing Allowance can afford the expensive rental apartments if you go up north to Seattle... I have gone through this forum a lot to read about the work life and educations of becoming an A&P Mechanic and it's been very helpful! I guess I need other people's opinions besides my family members because most of them don't have the knowledge and experience in the Aviation / Mechanic field... Also, my dad doesn't think I should be in the mechanic field because 1) I'm a girl lol... 2) I wasn't shown to have an interest in the mechanic and technological field when I was a kid and up till now... I've been stressing out over job/career choices because we will be moving to CT for my husband's welding school soon next month. His schooling will finish up around March so I have a choice to make whether I would want to stay in GA-FL for A&P school or head back to WA for Automechanic program.. I am open ears for your guys opinions and advice! Even if it's harsh!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Planes are more interesting to work on, you gain many more skills, as a rule it is easier on your body. IQ requirements are about the same, Aviation has more jobs that an A&P will qualify you for. Being Honda or Toyota certified will get you more money sooner, but they both top out about the same. Honda/Toyota Tech you can get a job in any city, Aviation jobs are usually harder to find in some cities.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Georgia and Florida are hard job markets but I'm sure you can always find something

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

A different career path. Take the advice of a guy with 40 years in the game, do yourself a favor and find something else to do.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I tell every one who asks. Find a career that you would do for free. Because it will get old. So do something that you want to do. And will look forward to doing every day.

For me I always like tearing stuff apart and fixing things. I joined the Air Force and was hooked after my first helicopter ride. The whole hour we were flying all I was thinking was " I cant believe they are paying me to be here "

If I had to do it again. And knowing what I know. The hardship of working out side. Always being on the road or gone for the holidays. I would go with medical equipment repair. The work is 24/7. You're on a good set schedule. Its always inside. Not many layoffs. There are hospitals everywhere.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by exnwa86 View Post
    A different career path. Take the advice of a guy with 40 years in the game, do yourself a favor and find something else to do.
    The OP said (she) was a girl. That changes everything. She will be able to get the very best jobs and all the guys will make sure she stays clean and comfortable. Otherwise the location, schedule, and weather can make an enjoyable job very miserable. I walked away from a major airline after 10 years because of this.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

At the end of the day, and 37 years doing this job I submit this.

A lot of jobs pay well, some don't. Some have a higher purpose, some don't. Some are physically easy, some are not. Example Insurance Agent, make 50-100K a year, but no real skill or craft required, and its a pointless job. I could name multitudes of others. Example of a higher purpose, would obviously be Fireman, EMT, Police, Military etc. I also place our career in that classification. Lets face it, you have a real bad day you can kill a plane load of people plus people on the ground, you have a good day? Maybe you prevent an incident or accident. Maybe your work ethic is such that you wiped your fingerprints off of a cowl, giving a nervous passenger the feeling that someone cared about the job they did. Maybe you have given a pilot the conviction that the planes are safe to fly. I mean there is more to this job than following a manual and fixing broken toilets. I keep myself motivated by the belief that Aviation is a little better and safer with me here. The day I cease to believe that in my heart, is the day I'll get some meaningless assembly job somewhere until I die.

Steve

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    At the end of the day, and 37 years doing this job I submit this.

A lot of jobs pay well, some don't. Some have a higher purpose, some don't. Some are physically easy, some are not. Example Insurance Agent, make 50-100K a year, but no real skill or craft required, and its a pointless job. I could name multitudes of others. Example of a higher purpose, would obviously be Fireman, EMT, Police, Military etc. I also place our career in that classification. Lets face it, you have a real bad day you can kill a plane load of people plus people on the ground, you have a good day? Maybe you prevent an incident or accident. Maybe your work ethic is such that you wiped your fingerprints off of a cowl, giving a nervous passenger the feeling that someone cared about the job they did. Maybe you have given a pilot the conviction that the planes are safe to fly. I mean there is more to this job than following a manual and fixing broken toilets. I keep myself motivated by the belief that Aviation is a little better and safer with me here. The day I cease to believe that in my heart, is the day I'll get some meaningless assembly job somewhere until I die.

Steve
    Aviation definitely has a strong draw.
    Last edited by kevbo; 12-18-2017 at 07:04 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You say you have no mechanical background, forget it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Don't confuse background with aptitude!!

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    You say you have no mechanical background, forget it.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast