Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Don't confuse background with aptitude!!

Steve
    Airlines dont require either one. You need to be good if you are a one man show which is often the case in GA.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Don't confuse background with aptitude!!

Steve
    I'm not. But, by age 20 if someone hasn't enjoyed working on their own car or fixed bicycles, I question, or doubt, they will enjoy working on anything mechanical.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Airlines dont require either one. You need to be good if you are a one man show which is often the case in GA.
    Sourpuss. You're not even an aircraft mechanic anymore.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Sourpuss. You're not even an aircraft mechanic anymore.
    Im a part timer now. I get some variety without changing tires and brakes outside in the rain, although most of my work is rather boring.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I see your point

As a kid 12-17 I aspired to be a mechanic, mainly because the neighborhood I grew up in, would now classify as a Muscle car museum. SS Chevelles, Nova SS, Z28, Road Runner, 428 Torinos, Mustangs on and on and on. I read every copy of Car Craft I could buy find or steal.

That being said just about everything I worked on turned to shit, LOL Fix the lawnmower? No training, my dads household SK tool set, recipe for disaster 100% of the time. At 17 I joined USAF as a Jet Mech and 3 weeks after my 18th Birthday I reported for Duty. First thing I did was buy a semi pile of crap Nova and hit the Auto Hobby Shop. I lived there for the next 5 years. It helped a LOT that I was stationed in a town that had a HUGE Streetracing Culture, Cruising Fri and Sat, Sat night go outside of town and Drag Race until the sun came up. Exactly like the opening scene of two lane blacktop.

I had the desire and a natural aptitude for mechanics, but as everything has processes, I was completely ignorant of them. The Military taught me the process of being a professional mechanic. It taught me the importance of the job I did. Interaction with other mechanics as well as bosses etc, taught me the non technical side of life, in that I was a slow learner.

So I guess what I am getting at, is if you were to make career advice from anything I touched prior to age 18, you would be well justified to tell me to go into the construction laborer field. And yet I found my path and found-and developed a seemingly rare natural aptitude and instinctive bias towards things mechanical.

One hugely embarrassing example, was the first transmission I pulled I was 16 or so, and we undid the 6 bellhousing bolts, and spent 2 weeks trying to figure out how to loosen the last two bolts. As I now know, they were alignment dowels. A guy who had a clue came over, kicked the tailhousing and the freaking tranny fell out onto the floor.

Just sayin....

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    I'm not. But, by age 20 if someone hasn't enjoyed working on their own car or fixed bicycles, I question, or doubt, they will enjoy working on anything mechanical.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It does appear that the pay is rising, most importantly at the lower end of the industry. At least now a kid can afford to get a start in the industry. I know so many guys in the early 90s that could not take the cut and never entered the industry.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Find another line of work. I've been doing this for over 30 years and I would discourage every young person who has interest in becoming an a&p against it!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Db9469 View Post
    Find another line of work. I've been doing this for over 30 years and I would discourage every young person who has interest in becoming an a&p against it!
    Tell us how you really feel!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That's funny. You two must be related.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just being honest. Why sugar coat the reality that our profession is under appreciated and under valued. I'm with my second major airline of my 30+ year career and facing labor strife once again. I've been the loyal employee and it may lead to starting over...again...at age 50. So...sorry if I don't paint a rosy, encouraging picture for any young person considering aircraft maintenance as a career path. Get you professional pilot ratings...they can't outsource that.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast