Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Db9469 View Post
    Just being honest. Why sugar coat the reality that our profession is under appreciated and under valued. I'm with my second major airline of my 30+ year career and facing labor strife once again. I've been the loyal employee and it may lead to starting over...again...at age 50. So...sorry if I don't paint a rosy, encouraging picture for any young person considering aircraft maintenance as a career path. Get you professional pilot ratings...they can't outsource that.
    Definitely think about flying while you're wrenching if you possible can. A flying career will take off as your maintenance career stagnates. I know at least two Delta mechanics that turned pro pilot by 40.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Talking big money and time investment to become a professional pilot. Most airlines only want pilots with bachelor degree, too.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Talking big money and time investment to become a professional pilot. Most airlines only want pilots with bachelor degree, too.
    It can be very expensive, especially if you want it all at once. So can an A&P! You can get all your ratings and a degree over 20 years much cheaper and still make a lateral move from toolbox to cockpit. I know that whatever got in the way of being a pilot to begin with usually persists for many years so very few ever make the transition. By the time I could afford to do it, the desire was gone.
    Last edited by kevbo; 02-15-2018 at 07:33 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I was recently asked to help a graduating senior come up with a plan to become a professional pilot. Feel like it applies here. This is the path I laid out for him:

Aviation job. Line service, etc. Try to get an entry level job at Southwest/UPS/Fedex.
    Ground instructor certificates. Foundations of Instruction, Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor. Self study.
    Aviation Medical.
    Private pilot license.
    Volunteer at the Civil Air Patrol/a museum that has flying airplanes/Commemorative Air Force.* Build time.
    Aviation Mechanic school. Think associates mechanic, plan to transfer to 4 year professional flight.
    A&P certificate, Grol and NCATT.
    Start 4 year school and mechanic job.
    Finish commercial license and flight instructor certificates.
    Build time.
    Finish 4 year degree.
    23 years old, ATP & 1500TT, 4 year degree, A&P.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mdsalern View Post
    I was recently asked to help a graduating senior come up with a plan to become a professional pilot. Feel like it applies here. This is the path I laid out for him:

Aviation job. Line service, etc. Try to get an entry level job at Southwest/UPS/Fedex.
    Ground instructor certificates. Foundations of Instruction, Advanced Ground Instructor, Instrument Ground Instructor. Self study.
    Aviation Medical.
    Private pilot license.
    Volunteer at the Civil Air Patrol/a museum that has flying airplanes/Commemorative Air Force.* Build time.
    Aviation Mechanic school. Think associates mechanic, plan to transfer to 4 year professional flight.
    A&P certificate, Grol and NCATT.
    Start 4 year school and mechanic job.
    Finish commercial license and flight instructor certificates.
    Build time.
    Finish 4 year degree.
    23 years old, ATP & 1500TT, 4 year degree, A&P.
    If he could finish college that fast getting an A&P would be counter productive. Schools give only one year of credit for two years of A&P training. That is all that Riddle offered me. The pay difference between box thrower/line boy and fresh A&P isn't enough to make up for the lost time.
    Last edited by kevbo; 02-15-2018 at 09:29 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Grol and NCATT would be a waste, too.
    You're talking, work, and do all that at the same time... That's nuts.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kevbo, it depends on where you go to school and where you transfer your credit. The 4 year program I was suggesting is at SIU. They give 60 hours credit for an A&P from a Part 147 school, or did when I looked into it. They even had a 2 year weekend program to finish a 4 year degree. As for the pay difference, I'm pretty sure bag throwers get paid significantly less than A&P's at Southwest. Put a year or two in and you can transfer. I've had two friends do it.

Glenn, I put the GROL and NCATT on there because a Fortune 500 DOM told me he doesn't hire without them. I agree it is a lot of work, but this was written for someone graduating high school. That gives them 5-6 years to do it all by the time they turn 23 and are eligible for an ATP license.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Kevbo, it depends on where you go to school and where you transfer your credit. The 4 year program I was suggesting is at SIU. They give 60 hours credit for an A&P from a Part 147 school, or did when I looked into it. They even had a 2 year weekend program to finish a 4 year degree. As for the pay difference, I'm pretty sure bag throwers get paid significantly less than A&P's at Southwest. Put a year or two in and you can transfer. I've had two friends do it.

Glenn, I put the GROL and NCATT on there because a Fortune 500 DOM told me he doesn't hire without them. I agree it is a lot of work, but this was written for someone graduating high school. That gives them 5-6 years to do it all by the time they turn 23 and are eligible for an ATP license.
    I know, there is some school out there (somewhere) that gives more credit for an A&P. The credit applies only toward a general degree, not a professional one. Does this kid already have a job at SWA? Does he have an inside track into the companies that want a GROL? If so our comments about new mechanic requirements and pay don't apply. Of the thousands of newly minted A&Ps, I can get one to show up for $1-2/hr more than I pay the line boy. If he is planning to be a pilot, that is a full time job all by itself. Ive never met anyone doing both professionally at the same time. He should just spend two years getting his CFI and then be a full time pilot. Spending time/money on an A&P would be in the way of the cockpit job that he really wants.
    Last edited by kevbo; 02-16-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Maybe should have consulted the Fortune 500 Chief Inspector, he would have recommended Eddy Current and Ultrasonic NDT training, instead.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would like the NDT training. Tell me how to do it.

I understand your thoughts on it being a waste. I based my list off the most successful people I've seen in both arenas.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast