Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Time to Complete a 100hr/ annual

HI

I have been out of GA for awhile and always wondered how long it takes others to do a 100hr/ annual inspection.

For a 172 we use to be able to get the inspection portion done in a 8 hour day, me and an apprentice, this was excluding Compass swing and wheel bearing lube, This was on an aircraft we had seen before.

just curious if we were too slow or standard

C

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Lots of variables.

Lets say a 172 has 18 Hours for open-up, clean, lube inspect and close. Including non retractable gear servicing, shimmy dampener.
    Also depending on where you are at, may or may not include engine items such as compression check, plugs, screens, and oil change, open and inspect mags.
    Also depends on the degree you disassemble the interior.
    If you find squawks, research required for parts, and time to fix.

So basically that's FAST. VERY Fast

Also it has a bearing whether or not your a flight school or if its a customers plane.

S
    Quote Originally Posted by CBAME View Post
    HI

I have been out of GA for awhile and always wondered how long it takes others to do a 100hr/ annual inspection.

For a 172 we use to be able to get the inspection portion done in a 8 hour day, me and an apprentice, this was excluding Compass swing and wheel bearing lube, This was on an aircraft we had seen before.

just curious if we were too slow or standard

C
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Basically we would do the inspection as per the CARS, oil change compression check, fuel filter inspection, ect. wheel bearings took longer, Interrior seats out floor up sidewalls stayed in, enough of the headliner came out so we could inspect the cables in the ceiling.

looking back i wonder if maybe we should of taken out more of the sidewalls. i know with the pipers we use to take off the plastic piece at the door and found a steel fitting behind id with insulation that was full of water resulting in a pretty corroded steel fitting.

In the Airline world the work card tells us exactly what panel to remove and what to look for behind it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Never done one. Is wheel bearing repack required every 100 hr/annual?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Yes, takes about 2 hours all told.

S
    Last edited by Steve340; 12-25-2017 at 04:08 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

It depends on the shop and the people.

Me and one guy could 100hr a Chieftain in a 135 outfit in about 36 man hours.
    But they were Cargo birds with no interior and we didn't do a lot of the optional stuff. Minimum to keep it flying safely, and we were both badasses on those aircraft at the time.

Some 172 things considered optional are:

Clean, polish and lube brake pins.
    Clean and lube Trim chains
    Remove, clean and paint kick panels
    Clean and lube flap tracks
    Remove and service Shimmy Dampener
    LPS all hinge points and rod ends
    Check Gear Alignment, flip tires when needed = Squawk hours
    Clean Brake discs and Par al keytone, usually only if new, but once done needs repeated.
    Vac Filter and garter filter
    Service Brakes.
    Remove and service top charge battery
    ELT Remove, check battery for corrosion and date

Just a short list I am sure there are plenty more.

Do you charge per inspection or go hourly?

Most shops figure to lose money on actual inspection time, so they make it up on squawk hours, or service sheet items.

Quote Originally Posted by CBAME View Post
    Basically we would do the inspection as per the CARS, oil change compression check, fuel filter inspection, ect. wheel bearings took longer, Interrior seats out floor up sidewalls stayed in, enough of the headliner came out so we could inspect the cables in the ceiling.

looking back i wonder if maybe we should of taken out more of the sidewalls. i know with the pipers we use to take off the plastic piece at the door and found a steel fitting behind id with insulation that was full of water resulting in a pretty corroded steel fitting.

In the Airline world the work card tells us exactly what panel to remove and what to look for behind it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

we did do a lot of those items, time alos depended on wheel fairings or not, I've heard of one shop do pitot static leak checks, airleron rod ends, remove clean inspect lub and reinstall. that shop is no longer around. I have also worked with One guy who did a Cessna 150 in the morning, he opened just 1 panel on the tail, the wing root panels and strut fairings as well as a few interior panels, not really sure how he did the Cessna seat rail inspection when the seats never came out, or is that just a Canadian AD? its bee awhile. He did do a compression check and oil change, i had to convince him he should do a leak check just in case there was a manufacturing defect with the filter

I would like to see Cessnas numbers on a 100hr/annual inspection in terms of man hours

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    It depends on the shop and the people.

Me and one guy could 100hr a Chieftain in a 135 outfit in about 36 man hours.
    But they were Cargo birds with no interior and we didn't do a lot of the optional stuff. Minimum to keep it flying safely, and we were both badasses on those aircraft at the time.

Some 172 things considered optional are:

Clean, polish and lube brake pins.did this item as part of the wheel bearing servicing
    Clean and lube Trim chains
    Remove, clean and paint kick panels
    Clean and lube flap tracks
    Remove and service Shimmy Dampener -we only did this if there were signs of leaking or reports of a shimmy
    LPS all hinge points and rod ends
    Check Gear Alignment, flip tires when needed = Squawk hours-only when the tire wear was ineven
    Clean Brake discs and Par al keytone, usually only if new, but once done needs repeated.only if customer requestedonly if requested
    Vac Filter and garter filteruse to always do the foam b3-5-1 some new to us planes had this so old it was falling apart simple 5 min job
    Service Brakes.
    Remove and service top charge battery
    ELT Remove, check battery for corrosion and datetransport canada has certian inspections for this and had to be sent out

Just a short list I am sure there are plenty more.

Do you charge per inspection or go hourly? it was flat rate cannot recall how many hours but the intent was to make money on snags

Most shops figure to lose money on actual inspection time, so they make it up on squawk hours, or service sheet items.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

There are so many A&Ps around that cheap owners can always find one to whip a 100hr or annual for a $100 and a case of beer. That is why the fleet is in such poor condition overall. Nowadays aircraft owners seem to be wealthier than in the past and are spending more on maintenance. Unfortunately the current crop of GA mechanics have never worked on a new airplane and dont know that as a standard. All I know for sure is that if you are really doing it right, it is very difficult to make a living at it.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I used to have those numbers Its something like 24 for a 182 I believe

S

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

A Cessna 172 annual should take you around 12-14 hours. That is complete open up, all inspection items, AD research, service items and close up. AD compliance, ICA's, service bulletins and squawks are all charged hourly. All in all typically around 18 hours if everything isn't too bad.