Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Airlines vs corporate

I'm curious how the work compares between these two sections of this field. Job security, work loads, overtime potential, benefits, ect. How does job outlook compare? My teacher says corporate is more prioritized on quality where airlines focus on quantity, which makes sense. I'm just not sure how I want to proceed after I get my a&p. It seems like there will be 2 roads to choose between and switching from one to another won't really be an option after a couple years of experience in one or the other (corporates want experience in corporate, and airlines want that regional or major airline experience). I do plan on getting my IA after 2 years in either, and I'm going to stay local initially to get a bachelors in aviation management while my fiance finishes up her PTA program.

Anyone have experience in both to give a general comparison?

Thanks for your time

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Until you have 5 to 8 years on one airframe, corporate will not even look at you. Unless your meaning a corporate 145 Shop. They are quality conscience and usually the shops are competitive on the hangar floor. Also hard to get into without prior experience.

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Plus. Corporate doesn't even get close to airline pay scales, or benefits. And it's up and down with manning requirements.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dkdesimone View Post
    I'm curious how the work compares between these two sections of this field. Job security, work loads, overtime potential, benefits, ect. How does job outlook compare? My teacher says corporate is more prioritized on quality where airlines focus on quantity, which makes sense. I'm just not sure how I want to proceed after I get my a&p. It seems like there will be 2 roads to choose between and switching from one to another won't really be an option after a couple years of experience in one or the other (corporates want experience in corporate, and airlines want that regional or major airline experience). I do plan on getting my IA after 2 years in either, and I'm going to stay local initially to get a bachelors in aviation management while my fiance finishes up her PTA program.

Thanks for your time

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Thanks for your time
    You are placing the cart about a mile ahead of the horse. After you get your A&P, you will take whatever crap job you can get or else you will never work on airplanes! With time and luck, you MAY get the job you really want. Getting hired by a major is like winning the lottery even for experienced full time mechanics. It took me 8 years to get a decent job at a major and that was with a couple of internal recommendations. I know excellent mechanics that spent 10-12 years with commuters until they were finally hired by a major, once again through internal contacts. If you want job security, be a plumber. All of the hangars that I have ever worked in are now empty!
    Last edited by kevbo; 01-20-2018 at 08:44 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I'm aware I'm not going to graduate and go straight to a major. If I go with airlines my goal is to start with trans states. I've already been talking with them and my teachers know their recruitment personnel well. I'm ranked first in most of my classes so hopefully I can get a good recommendation. They hire a lot out of this school.

But if I go with them that puts me down the route for airlines, where going to an fbo like west star (also local) can set me up to go down the corportate road.

I was just curious how the two compare, I'm aware that the career ladder has steps. But judging by steves statements, it sounds like airlines would be the better route.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Airlines DO hire new A&P's just not as big of a percentage of other levels.

I don't know how to put it better, but FBO life can be awesome, it is high stress, fast paced, rewarding, you learn a lot spend a crap load on tools, at times have a Mon thru Fri schedule. On the down side, competition between mechanics is fierce, personal skills are extremely important, and the jobs are few and far between. Upward mobility almost non existent above Lead or crew leader.

Airline life can be great, you start on thirds, or in a hangar. Within a few years your on the line doing gate write-ups and minor planning. No Breakage? You hang out and chill or watch TV, or study, or sleep. I went an entire summer once without even opening my line box. Planes were flying great and the suits were happy.

So it depends on which place your rather be in 10 years.

Steve

I'm aware I'm not going to graduate and go straight to a major. If I go with airlines my goal is to start with trans states. I've already been talking with them and my teachers know their recruitment personnel well. I'm ranked first in most of my classes so hopefully I can get a good recommendation. They hire a lot out of this school.

But if I go with them that puts me down the route for airlines, where going to an fbo like west star (also local) can set me up to go down the corportate road.

I was just curious how the two compare, I'm aware that the career ladder has steps. But judging by steves statements, it sounds like airlines would be the better route.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Sounds like airlines is more what I'm looking for then. I'm not afraid of the competition or personal skills aspects, but the lack of upward movement... I want to put myself in situations where progression is most likely

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

always be afraid of completion, people don't play fair.
    I would highly recommend reading " The 48 Laws of Power "
    That book and a good personality you can go far.

Steve

Sounds like airlines is more what I'm looking for then. I'm not afraid of the competition or personal skills aspects, but the lack of upward movement... I want to put myself in situations where progression is most likely

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just so you know, the job works nights, weekends, and holidays until your hair is grey. Its also outdoors, which is often rough unless you are in San Diego.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Never worked corporate so I really can't comment on it. Been in aviation a long time. Started in the Air Force, got out & worked a couple of jobs and got hired by a major. Worked 20 years there and got $hit canned along with 4500 other happy souls. Lots of people left the career field after 2001 through 2010 either forced or by choice. Things look rosy now but can turn on a dime and you will be paying your employer to go to work.
    On a brighter note, as a Lead I cleared $8000 last week. Best check ever and weather was the cause but last year I made $150,000 + and wasn't really trying and there are guys that blew past me.
    Don't want to be manager at this point, I make more than my manager but not as much as his manager.
    You can get hired in with no experience into apprenticeship programs once you are employed by the company usually with a 10 year top out.
    With airlines once you get in and have a degree and experience there are lots of different career paths.
    Last edited by exnwa86; 01-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast