Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Your'e dumber than I thought you were.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by exnwa86 View Post
    Your'e dumber than I thought you were.
    Yep, and I was a lot dumber back when I believed what I was told!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Wasn't everyone told the same thing? And, not everyone has your same I'll feeling.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Wasn't everyone told the same thing? And, not everyone has your same I'll feeling.
    Don't know about that. Im not negative about aviation maintenance! I just think the industry is too crowded and that most mechanics could do better for themselves and their families.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

With an open mind, you should realize that just about everyone, everywhere, could do better...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Not to get all Zen on you, but we ALL go through that.
    IQ Wise an A&P could have been a lawyer or anything in that range IQ wise.
    I wanted to be a mechanic as a child, I thought mechanics were awesome, well regarded and respected. By the time I realized that was due to my modest lower middle class upbringing the die was cast. So I went though a period of kicking myself in the ass because the REASON I am a better than average wrench is that I am intelligent. SO instead of falling into a self loathing despair, I did a paradigm shift worked on my interpersonal skills, knocked the chip off my shoulder and I try every day to be a better all around A&P.

So yea if bullfrogs had shotguns snakes would not eat them. But it is what it is.

Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Don't know about that. Im not negative about aviation maintenance! I just think the industry is too crowded and that most mechanics could do better for themselves and their families.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Sounds like your in St Louis as well. I've worked both Commercial and Corporate. EMB145s, CRJ700s in commercial, I'll let you deduce who it was with but I left because I didn't agree with the ethics of the organization. There are a couple great Corporate options in town now, West Star and Gulfstream now has its 2nd largest location here. Personally I like the corporate world more, you sound like a smart kid you'll be able to move up if you play your cards correctly. I never really used the flight benefits when I was in the commercial side. But pay at a regional is crap compared to a corporate operation, corporate you'll likely work nights for a hand full of years but could end up on days. You'll have holidays off, cleaner working conditions, a much more safe work environment, better health insurance, 401k, tuition reimbursement, etc. . In the summer the hangars don't have AC but AC is pumped into the cabins of the planes in the hangar or in the hell hole and they are heated hangars. Heated enough that you'll be plenty comfortable as long as your not doing a hangar dump. Corporate sends people to OEM training more, you get a couple OEM schools under your belt and they have spent about $100,000 on you. Those schools are excellent on your resume and will open doors to work directly for a VIP. Many of my friends have moved on to work on household brand and VIP's planes making excellent money.

Quote Originally Posted by dkdesimone View Post
    I'm aware I'm not going to graduate and go straight to a major. If I go with airlines my goal is to start with trans states. I've already been talking with them and my teachers know their recruitment personnel well. I'm ranked first in most of my classes so hopefully I can get a good recommendation. They hire a lot out of this school.

But if I go with them that puts me down the route for airlines, where going to an fbo like west star (also local) can set me up to go down the corportate road.

I was just curious how the two compare, I'm aware that the career ladder has steps. But judging by steves statements, it sounds like airlines would be the better route.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345