Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by exnwa86 View Post
    Never worked corporate so I really can't comment on it. Been in aviation a long time. Started in the Air Force, got out & worked a couple of jobs and got hired by a major. Worked 20 years there and got $hit canned along with 4500 other happy souls. Lots of people left the career field after 2001 through 2010 either forced or by choice. Things look rosy now but can turn on a dime and you will be paying your employer to go to work.
    On a brighter note, as a Lead I cleared $8000 last week. Best check ever and weather was the cause but last year I made $150,000 + and wasn't really trying and there are guys that blew past me.
    Don't want to be manager at this point, I make more than my manager but not as much as his manager.
    You can get hired in with no experience into apprenticeship programs once you are employed by the company usually with a 10 year top out.
    With airlines once you get in and have a degree and experience there are lots of different career paths.
    Jumping through all the hoops of getting an A&P would be worth it if all maintenance jobs were the equivalent of a major airline. Where I work, we have junior high dropouts making $150k because of a union contract. Don't limit yourself if a better opportunity comes along outside of aviation.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

dude, we and the world get how you feel.

Either tone it down, or go start your own website

I let you go on and on, but you do not self moderate

thanks

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Jumping through all the hoops of getting an A&P would be worth it if all maintenance jobs were the equivalent of a major airline. Where I work, we have junior high dropouts making $150k because of a union contract. Don't limit yourself if a better opportunity comes along outside of aviation.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

$150k because of a union contract. Is that a bad thing?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Default got that right

Plastics, steel and copper industrial jobs pay good too. But they take your health in return

Personally, I like what I do.

got to see the Trump chopper today

S

$150k because of a union contract. Is that a bad thing?
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just so you know, the job works nights, weekends, and holidays until your hair is grey. Its also outdoors, which is often rough unless you are in San Diego.
    I dont mind working nights or weekends, just part of the game when you're starting at the bottom is getting the less desirable shifts. I worked for the department of conservation and worked a 9-5 but often had to head in at 1am during hunting season, and earlier during deer trapping projects. Not worried about working outdoors either! Trans states is 12hr shifts, 4 days on, 3 days off, 3 days on, 4 days off. Doesn't sound bad to me.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    always be afraid of completion, people don't play fair.
    I would highly recommend reading " The 48 Laws of Power "
    That book and a good personality you can go far.

Steve
    Read about the book on amazon and ordered a copy 👍🏼 sounds interesting

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Never worked corporate so I really can't comment on it. Been in aviation a long time. Started in the Air Force, got out & worked a couple of jobs and got hired by a major. Worked 20 years there and got $hit canned along with 4500 other happy souls. Lots of people left the career field after 2001 through 2010 either forced or by choice. Things look rosy now but can turn on a dime and you will be paying your employer to go to work.
    On a brighter note, as a Lead I cleared $8000 last week. Best check ever and weather was the cause but last year I made $150,000 + and wasn't really trying and there are guys that blew past me.
    Don't want to be manager at this point, I make more than my manager but not as much as his manager.
    You can get hired in with no experience into apprenticeship programs once you are employed by the company usually with a 10 year top out.
    With airlines once you get in and have a degree and experience there are lots of different career paths.
    Thank you for the reply exn. Sounds like a good job, just with some job security issues. I've been told that job outlook will be getting better with baby boomers retiring in the next decade, hopefully that will provide a little more job security.

Not heading into the industry to get rich, but coming from a state department job that required a 4 year degree and paid 24k a year, it sounds like a nice step up.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

If you plan on going the airline route, no need for the IA, unless you want to work GA on the side.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Just so you know, the job works nights, weekends, and holidays until your hair is grey. Its also outdoors, which is often rough unless you are in San Diego.
    I know high seniority people that purposely work nights, and even holidays (Great excuse not to mingle with the in-laws). The extra pay for working holidays is nice. I've always like being outdoors, even in winter.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    I know high seniority people that purposely work nights, and even holidays (Great excuse not to mingle with the in-laws). The extra pay for working holidays is nice. I've always like being outdoors, even in winter.
    The catch is that it takes a high seniority # in order to get those options.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast