Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Some catch... it allowd the 8 day shift slots for my department to be filled by seniority numbers: 2, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 13, 15, (of 18 total employees), not seniority numbers 1 - 8 as you'd expect.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Lets not hide a fact. You put in your time, you get the good shifts or the ones you like. That's anywhere and any industry.
    And that's how it should be.

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Lets not hide a fact. You put in your time, you get the good shifts or the ones you like. That's anywhere and any industry.
    And that's how it should be.

S
    Im looking for ways to find quality of life without waiting 30 years. I put in 10 with Delta and was at the bottom of the list. Had I stayed an additional 10, I would still be near the bottom!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I hear you. But it is what it is.
    The answer is to advance. Become a Lead, a supervisor or a manager.
    You work as an A&P on thirds, your gonna wait for seniority like everyone else. I know a bunch of people that have went to Delta and some still work thirds outside, and others went into management. I like 2nd shift myself.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Im looking for ways to find quality of life without waiting 30 years. I put in 10 with Delta and was at the bottom of the list. Had I stayed an additional 10, I would still be near the bottom!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

No matter what you do, you need to realize that happiness comes from within, and work with what you got to create quality of life. Some people aren't cut out for work that demands working odd shifts. Some people love it. Start your own business, set your own hours, let the customers determine if 8-5, M-F, works for them. Personally, I'm with Steve, 2nd shift works best for me, but when my kids were little, working nights worked best. I saw everybody when I got home and helped get the kids off to school, kissed my wife before she went to work and then slept till the kids came home from school. We had dinner as a family before I went to work. To me, that was pretty decent quailty of life, I got to spend more time with my kids than I would have if I was working days and had to be out of the house by 5:30 AM.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 01-27-2018 at 05:11 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Jumping through all the hoops of getting an A&P would be worth it if all maintenance jobs were the equivalent of a major airline. Where I work, we have junior high dropouts making $150k because of a union contract. Don't limit yourself if a better opportunity comes along outside of aviation.
    What company is this so?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    What company is this so?
    It's a manufacturer with a union shop. Anyone who shows up 7days a week and is near the top of the scale can make 150k.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Ahhh

And top scale?
    How longs that take?
    And zero education required?

S

It's a manufacturer with a union shop. Anyone who shows up 7days a week and is near the top of the scale can make 150k.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Plus. Corporate doesn't even get close to airline pay scales, or benefits. And it's up and down with manning requirements.

Steve
    I cleared $200k last year... You know me, I've never touched a part 121 airliner in my life.

Corporate has treated me well. I've been in the 6 figure range for.... whatever, 4 years or so? I'm to the point now where I don't think it would make sense to step into the airlines, financially. Had to move alot to get what I wanted sadly
    Last edited by brettboat; 01-29-2018 at 08:56 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

But your working long hours !

We old people cant handle that lol

S

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    I cleared $200k last year... You know me, I've never touched a part 121 airliner in my life.

Corporate has treated me well. I've been in the 6 figure range for.... whatever, 4 years or so? I'm to the point now where I don't think it would make sense to step into the airlines, financially. Had to move alot to get what I wanted sadly

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast