Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.

Thread: toolbox size

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default toolbox size

I'm looking to buy a nice box at the end of my a&p program and am unsure what to go with. What is a typical toolbox size in the hangar? I'm coming from an automotive background and am used to a 72" wide / 27" deep box, but I feel like that may be excessive in this field. I was thinking if I went large (3 bay) I would keep it stationary and have a roll cart for whatever tools I think I'll need at the time. I don't know if that is even allowed in most hangars. Would I be better off just getting a nice 2 bay?

Thanks for your time

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Figure out where your gonna end up, let that define the box. If your in a hangar you'll need a different type of box than for line maintenance. For hangar I have a large medium sized 3 row box, and for line I have a plastic snap on box.

Steve
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

For aviation, a big low box with good wheels. You will use the top as a work bench plus it will roll under more aircraft. Everyone had a small box on wheels for line work.
    Last edited by kevbo; 02-12-2018 at 05:57 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I haven't used my toolbox in 2 years... I work out of a pelican case

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Like others have suggested wait until you end up at your first job and see what works there, see what others are using then figure out what is best for you, One thing i would recommend is a good travel box like a pelican case. Organization is important you have to be able to find what your looking for, At my first job I organized in the same order as some of my co workers to make borrowing tools easier, I was starting from scratch so it made sense for me to adapt to them. this was for the main drawers, screw drivers, pliers, wrenches and ratchets/ sockets.

I have not used my toolbox for employment in almost 4 years worked in QA now maintenance control. but it is ready to go if necessary.

One thing you also have to consider is if you change jobs how easy is it to move.

Good Luck

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I haven't used mine in 30 years (other than at home). Flashlight, mirror, and magnifying glass is what I use most. I still like the old Craftsman cantilever box I have, for line mx.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".