Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Annual Inspections

Hello All,

I have a question with respect to annual inspections.

I recall while studying and taking my FAA IA exam at one of our nations largest IA schools, a question that read something like this: " How often can you annual an airplane" The answer was "Any time the owner requests it".

Scenario: I just finished a restoration on a single engine/high performance retract that included paint, interior and a few other little add-ons. The prop came off and re-installed, all flying surfaces were removed IRAN'd and re-installed etc.. The aircraft is currently within it's annual inspection time frame but the owner says "give it and annual and go over all of it".

I understand this request but cannot find in the Reg's where it talks about a scenario like this. Can someone help me with this scenario? If one would have chosen a different answer to the above FAA Exam question, it would have been marked wrong.

I have no issue satisfying the request myself.

Thanks!

Scott

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

What if the owner was planning a long trip that happened to fall when the annual inspection was due? Would he not be allowed to take the trip, or would he do the annual early? How early can the annual be done? What if that same aircraft were used commercially? It would be getting 100 hr inspections, which have the same inspection criteria. Is there a limit to how early the 100 hr inspections can be done? It's just, how much money the owner wants to spend... Now, I can see where an the owner might like the IA to shortcut the annual, (because it was just done last month, or months ago), now that's a problem... Ive actually seen owners comment that they'd expect it, on a pilots forum.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 01-25-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

You can perform an annual inspection whenever the pilot wants it. It could literally be 5 days after the previous annual. There are no regulations that say you can't. I had the same exact scenario happen a few months ago. We were doing an avionics upgrade to an extra. It was already opened up and the owner said just to annual it anyways since the majority of it was already opened. He was 3 months before his annual was due. This goes for the 100 hour inspection as well.

Check out AC 43-9C.

And some food for thought. An annual is done to the airframe, 100hr inspections are done to the engine and propeller. Even if the aircraft is not for hire.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Refer to FARs 91.409, 43.15, and 43 Appendix D. That should clear up your misconception. The scope and detail of items to be included in annual and 100 hour inspections are the same.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 01-26-2018 at 12:51 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Refer to FARs .
    I'm not sure what referring to the Federal Acquisition Regulations will really do to help
    I kid you not.
    Over the past few years the FAA has slowly been pushing us to remove the term FAR and use 14 CFR. To the point of on a pair of STC projects we turned in to the local ACO, one of the official comments (that we had to address) was "do not use FAR". Guess where FAR was??? In the section where we identify the certification basis of the aircraft, which is copy and paste from the TCDS......
    "My life experience tells me that people talk about other people for one of four reasons: because you’re dying, because you’re dead, because you’re one of the best in your field, or because you’re one of the worst. My question for you is, why don’t I hear people talking about you?” Jason Dahl to Capt Mark Hoog

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    I'm not sure what referring to the Federal Acquisition Regulations will really do to help
    I kid you not.
    Over the past few years the FAA has slowly been pushing us to remove the term FAR and use 14 CFR. To the point of on a pair of STC projects we turned in to the local ACO, one of the official comments (that we had to address) was "do not use FAR". Guess where FAR was??? In the section where we identify the certification basis of the aircraft, which is copy and paste from the TCDS......
    Well, the FAA still uses the term on their home page at https://www.faa.gov. "Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR)"

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Yep, you just have to laugh sometimes...

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Find a good lawyer

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

To tired to look up the Reg's right now. Nothing says you can not inspect early, now the owner/operator that flies past the due date could get themselves in a jam.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

No there's nothing wrong with performing an annual before it's due date...But I'm not sure but I think an annual can be over flown with an approved extension! Most hourly inspections can be overflown by no more than 10%. So a 100 hr Inspection can be flown up to 110 hrs with an approved extension, and calendar dated inspections by 10% as well... 30-36 days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast