Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    21
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default Studying for Oral and Practical

    Hi guys,
    About to take my air-frame and general O&P. Curious as to how you guys studied for it? Did you do flash cards or just read the ORAL and practical study guide? Just looking for a few tips so I can be prepared!

    Thanks
    David

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,495
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Tons of posts on here regarding that, but the sum of them is Highlight correct answer ONLY in your study book. Do NOT read the wrong answers.
    Read them over and over. ONLY Question and Correct Answer

    That's what got me through

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    Hi guys,
    About to take my air-frame and general O&P. Curious as to how you guys studied for it? Did you do flash cards or just read the ORAL and practical study guide? Just looking for a few tips so I can be prepared!

    Thanks
    David
    Last edited by Steve340; 01-28-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,172
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    That is what I did. It's essentially the same as using flash cards, except that there is some risk in subconsciously seeing wrong answers. Flash cards are the way to go, they are even used by air force test pilots when preparing for test flights in new (to them) aircraft.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,495
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    That's why they said highlight the question and only the correct answer.
    I killed the writtens, and didn't know it that well, all through Rote.


    steve

    Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    That is what I did. It's essentially the same as using flash cards, except that there is some risk in subconsciously seeing wrong answers. Flash cards are the way to go, they are even used by air force test pilots when preparing for test flights in new (to them) aircraft.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,172
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    It worked for me too, but I know that flash cards are tried and true, and require more thought, and imbed the information in memory in a manner taught through all levels of schooling.
    "Arguing with an inspector is like wrestling with a pig in the mud, after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,495
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    I'll buy that


    s


    Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    It worked for me too, but I know that flash cards are tried and true, and require more thought, and imbed the information in memory in a manner taught through all levels of schooling.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    21
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    That's why they said highlight the question and only the correct answer.
    I killed the writtens, and didn't know it that well, all through Rote.


    steve
    Steve,

    I wasn't referring to the written but the actual oral and practical part of the exam. Already passed my General and Airframe ms have 8 months to get either A or P.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,495
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    oh lol

    Oral is test questions right from the book.
    Practical can be stupid simple or hell, depending on your guy

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    Steve,

    I wasn't referring to the written but the actual oral and practical part of the exam. Already passed my General and Airframe ms have 8 months to get either A or P.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    21
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    oh lol

    Oral is test questions right from the book.
    Practical can be stupid simple or hell, depending on your guy

    Steve
    Steve thanks for the reply. what book are you refering to? the ASA PREPWARE or the DALE CRANE ORAL and PRACTICAL test guides? Thanks

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,495
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    I believe the ASA is the most used one.

    Oral like I said is right from the book. Practical could be working on a mag, installing a cylinder, banging a few rivets, calculating W&B etc.

    ALWAYS ask for tech data on ANYTHING your asked to do, #1 it will show you how to do it, but he wants to see that you know to use the book. 43.13 has standard practices general torques for bolts if NOT in the manual. Attitude, be humble and ask questions, you do all that only a real dick for flunk you. Your not supposed to know all this stuff, an A&P is simply a license to learn.

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    Steve thanks for the reply. what book are you refering to? the ASA PREPWARE or the DALE CRANE ORAL and PRACTICAL test guides? Thanks
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast