Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    I believe the ASA is the most used one.

Oral like I said is right from the book. Practical could be working on a mag, installing a cylinder, banging a few rivets, calculating W&B etc.

ALWAYS ask for tech data on ANYTHING your asked to do, #1 it will show you how to do it, but he wants to see that you know to use the book. 43.13 has standard practices general torques for bolts if NOT in the manual. Attitude, be humble and ask questions, you do all that only a real dick for flunk you. Your not supposed to know all this stuff, an A&P is simply a license to learn.

Steve
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orall.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	4317

Name:	prep.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4316

which one of these is it?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post

Name:	orall.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	4317

Name:	prep.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	26.4 KB 
ID:	4316

which one of these is it?
    I used the ASA books read it twice and you will do fine. Depending on the examiner, its no more difficult than getting a drivers license.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    I used the ASA books read it twice and you will do fine. Depending on the examiner, its no more difficult than getting a drivers license.
    I take it you mean the Dale Crane book I posted?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

QUIZLET is an app on the internet where people have posted lots of study flash cards for A&P exams. Check it out

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Hello Everyone,

So I got through the 3 written exams and failed the oral exams (did not make it to the practical portion). Are the oral questions on the new FAA exam really just questions pulled from the same test bank as the written exams? I feel like its a different set of questions. Is there an exhaustive bank of test questions for the oral exam? If i can get to the practical I am not worried. I don't want to have to have to test a 3rd time, my examiner gives a heavy discount for a retest but full price for the 3rd one so I want to make sure I over prepare to the nth degree.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

There is this https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...est_questions/ that was just updated in June 2018. The PTS's have not changed https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...rds/#mechanics
    Last edited by mnttech; 07-23-2018 at 07:30 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

The oral is a bitch, I should have failed my Airframe Oral, but the guy realized some people have better memory retention than others.
    He really cut me some slack. Flash cards work, but you have to make the mental association from visual to oral. Actually have someone read you the questions out loud, and not in any specific order. Keep hammering the ones you keep missing and when needed go do the research and understand the material. No one on earth knows all that information after a tech school, and every A&P in the world knows that critical piece of paper is just a license to learn.

S
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Are the oral questions on the new FAA exam really just questions pulled from the same test bank as the written exams?
    And
    Is there an exhaustive bank of test questions for the oral exam?
    It would appear the answer to your questions is “sort of”. From FAA Order 8900.2B, Chapter 6, Section 2, paragraph 10. Conducting the Tests.
    a. Conducting the Oral Test.
    (1) Oral questions may be used at any time during the practical test.
    (a) For the DME: All oral test questions must be downloaded from the Designee Registration System (DRS) test generator. Results of oral questions must only be recorded as Pass, Fail, or Not Tested. Ask a minimum of four but no more than seven questions in each subject area. (Example: one question missed in the minimum of four required questions equals 75 percent; two questions missed in the minimum of four questions will require an additional three questions to be asked. Provided the applicant did not fail any further questions, the applicant would score 71 percent). The applicant must successfully answer at least 70 percent of the oral questions asked in each subject area. Each subject area must be passed in order to pass a section. Note: All unused generated tests must be destroyed.
    (2) An applicant’s answers to oral questions must show an understanding of the subject and ability to apply knowledge. Do not allow an applicant’s skill of oral expression or ability to memorize details affect oral test evaluation. If necessary, additional exploratory questions may be used to verify the applicant’s understanding of the subject area, but will not be considered as part of the test.
    (3) To determine if the oral questions are answered correctly, the DME must be able to reference information (e.g., manufacturer’s data, ACs, and 14 CFR), and be objective in making the determination.
    (4) Although the answers to the oral questions should be available in the CFRs, manufacturer’s maintenance data, or other aviation related data, the applicant must be able to successfully answer all oral questions without the use of any reference materials.
    I feel like its a different set of questions.
    Like Steve said, “you have to make the mental association from visual to oral.”
    Did he give you any indication on what section(s) you failed?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I failed the airframe section litterally on the last section, i think it was cabin pressurization systems. I did not know that the emergency air in a 747 (or other big planes) was a chemical system that lasts roughly 20 min (I work on aerobatic stunt planes and super cubs). I busted the power plant once we started getting into the nitty gritty on turbine aux systems. I have to reread the entire power plant secton and really dig deep on turbine accessories (I understand how the turbine itself works).

General was a cake walk.

Last night after I posted this I found that my ASA books include questions for the oral but I dont know if they are exhaustive

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    There is this https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...est_questions/ that was just updated in June 2018. The PTS's have not changed https://www.faa.gov/training_testing...rds/#mechanics
    I found these as well but are these exhaustive?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast