Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    I found these as well but are these exhaustive?
    Probably not. From the test guide:
    These questions are a representation of questions that can be found on AMA test. The applicant must realize that these questions are to be used as a study guide, and are not necessarily actual test questions
    Several years ago the FAA found that entire written tests were being done in less time than a single question should take. So they have gotten rid of the test bank we use to be able to get. As noted before
    All oral test questions must be downloaded from the Designee Registration System (DRS) test generator.
    DRS is password protected and I'll wager they have a pretty good size test bank now.

Keep reading the study guides, have someone else ask you questions, re-read the AC's. Keep at it!!!! It is just a license to learn, but you have to show the basics first!
    Last edited by mnttech; 07-23-2018 at 08:26 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    Probably not. From the test guide:

Several years ago the FAA found that entire written tests were being done in less time than a single question should take. So they have gotten rid of the test bank we use to be able to get. As noted before DRS is password protected and I'll wager they have a pretty good size test bank now.

Keep reading the study guides, have someone else ask you questions, re-read the AC's. Keep at it!!!! It is just a license to learn, but you have to show the basics first!
    The DME has agreed to quiz me prior to the formal exam so that will be a good deal. I just cant afford to waste money (got laid off from a good job that was enabling me to do all this stuff and am now working a pedestrian job that barely covers the bills) but I have come this far and cant really quit either lol.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I failed the airframe section litterally on the last section, i think it was cabin pressurization systems. I did not know that the emergency air in a 747 (or other big planes) was a chemical system that lasts roughly 20 min
    You're learning. Ever heard of ValuJet Flight 592?
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 07-23-2018 at 09:12 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    I have not

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I have not
    Interesting reading on both types of systems then:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ValuJet_Flight_592
    and
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qantas_Flight_30

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

I remember that one. O2 generators put in cargo with tires, they weren’t safetied and caused the fire.big whodunnit as to,how they got into the cargo

Sad all around

S

Quote Originally Posted by mnttech View Post
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So I dont know why i didnt ask this earlier but is there a way to have the FAA give the oral and practicals? The examiners charge a horrendous amount of money, it does not cost that much to take any other govt required exam that I know of.

Is the FAA legally required to perform said exams for a nominal fee since they are the ones mandating it?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I would say no and no.
    For the first question, from the FAA website
    To become an aircraft mechanic, you must take oral and practical tests as well as written tests. There is a fee for the test. A Designated Mechanic Examiner gives you the oral and practical test. You can get a list of these examiners at the local FAA office. The oral and practical tests cover 43 technical subjects. Typically tests for one certificate--airframe or power plant--takes about 8 hours.
    As for the second, I have no reference for that. I would offer that a FSDO would not have the space or items required to give a practical.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That was one benifit of going to a school that also had DME on site. The instructor that gave the test also had you is several classes prior to the test.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That was one benifit of going to a school that also had DME on site. The instructor that gave the test also had you is several classes prior to the test.
    How much and how long was the school? I looked into the baker school but the DME is now divorced from the training course and passing is no longer a slam dunk from what I was told. So then if you are into it for plane tickets, hotels, rental car, etc and then fail anyways thats a BAD deal.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast