Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Well you have to understand the perception vs Reality.

Slam dunk is a relative term. Kings / Bakers is for sure a tech you the test type of school. The O&P was not harder than most. Knowing the instructor was a comport level for sure. I remember hearing about peoples experiences where all they had to do was R&R a cylinder on like an 0200 and the engine was bare. I mean shit, how much easier can you get than that? I think the airframe was safety wire a turnbuckle and check an aileron travel. Simple, simple stuff. As I have previously written mine was like 5 days long, and the guy worked us hard. Little did we know at the time is he had the shop heads give him feedback on how we did.

If you feel the instructor you had was being unreasonable find another one, ask around. If I were a DME the thing that would pass or fail you would mainly be attitude. Do not walk in there acting like a know it all, be humble, and state you realize the whole career is about learning.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    How much and how long was the school? I looked into the baker school but the DME is now divorced from the training course and passing is no longer a slam dunk from what I was told. So then if you are into it for plane tickets, hotels, rental car, etc and then fail anyways thats a BAD deal.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Well you have to understand the perception vs Reality.

Slam dunk is a relative term. Kings / Bakers is for sure a tech you the test type of school. The O&P was not harder than most. Knowing the instructor was a comport level for sure. I remember hearing about peoples experiences where all they had to do was R&R a cylinder on like an 0200 and the engine was bare. I mean shit, how much easier can you get than that? I think the airframe was safety wire a turnbuckle and check an aileron travel. Simple, simple stuff. As I have previously written mine was like 5 days long, and the guy worked us hard. Little did we know at the time is he had the shop heads give him feedback on how we did.

If you feel the instructor you had was being unreasonable find another one, ask around. If I were a DME the thing that would pass or fail you would mainly be attitude. Do not walk in there acting like a know it all, be humble, and state you realize the whole career is about learning.

Steve
    Thats a good point, he found out that I was a professional engineer in our conversations (asking what I did for my day job, etc) and perhaps he did not like this but we seemed to get along great, he gave plenty of time to answer, etc. I think it just boiled down to me not knowing certain subject areas (fire detection, pressurized cabin and turbine accessories. Because I only got half way through power plant I dont know how well I would have done on the remaining sections. Also my IA who signed me off wanted me to test ASAP before he left state so he could see me get my ticket. He rushed me through the power plant written which I got lucky and passed with a 73 but I was not really ready. Failing the airframe orals was a fluke I think, I failed the VERY last section on the last question but the power plant I was ill prepared.

I am a little upset I went and sat for it before i was ready as it has now messed with my head, I am just going to literally re-read each FAA book for general, airframe and power plant and make sure I know it forwards and backwards, if I fail again then I think that might be that as my writens start to expire next august and this is a side thing for me so if the practicals are brutal then perhaps it was not meant to be.

The retest is only $200 so thats good.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

How much and how long was the school? I looked into the baker school but the DME is now divorced from the training course and passing is no longer a slam dunk from what I was told. So then if you are into it for plane tickets, hotels, rental car, etc and then fail anyways thats a BAD deal.
    I went to a community college. Granted, it was a long time ago. It was a certificate/associate degree program. I lived, and worked, not too far from the school for the two years required. My DME also found out I had four years Air Force fighter maintenance experience, that may have figured in.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 07-30-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Hang in there.

Yea they expect you to know stuff that's not really taught.
    I had a question on my IA test about Delta P stuff like on a King Air and was lost. I had not worked the system before. But basic Fire, 02 stuff like that is in the books. I know people who cannot tie their shoes that have A&P, so its not like engineering where you cannot be one if your not that smart.
    Maybe going back to the guy would be a good move since he would see a progression and effort and sign you off.

Steve

Thats a good point, he found out that I was a professional engineer in our conversations (asking what I did for my day job, etc) and perhaps he did not like this but we seemed to get along great, he gave plenty of time to answer, etc. I think it just boiled down to me not knowing certain subject areas (fire detection, pressurized cabin and turbine accessories. Because I only got half way through power plant I dont know how well I would have done on the remaining sections. Also my IA who signed me off wanted me to test ASAP before he left state so he could see me get my ticket. He rushed me through the power plant written which I got lucky and passed with a 73 but I was not really ready. Failing the airframe orals was a fluke I think, I failed the VERY last section on the last question but the power plant I was ill prepared.

I am a little upset I went and sat for it before i was ready as it has now messed with my head, I am just going to literally re-read each FAA book for general, airframe and power plant and make sure I know it forwards and backwards, if I fail again then I think that might be that as my writens start to expire next august and this is a side thing for me so if the practicals are brutal then perhaps it was not meant to be.

The retest is only $200 so thats good.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Hang in there.

Yea they expect you to know stuff that's not really taught.
    I had a question on my IA test about Delta P stuff like on a King Air and was lost. I had not worked the system before. But basic Fire, 02 stuff like that is in the books. I know people who cannot tie their shoes that have A&P, so its not like engineering where you cannot be one if your not that smart.
    Maybe going back to the guy would be a good move since he would see a progression and effort and sign you off.

Steve
    So I am going through
    FAA-H-8083-30/31/32 line by line, however, these are highly extensive manuals and I am already into october and maybe 200 pages through general and 60 pages through the first airframe book. i did well on general my first exam but there is stuff I am reading that I did not know very well so perhaps I just got lucky.

The issue is that reading these manuals to this level of detail is taking ALOT of time (on top of the hundreds of hours of prep before the first failure, watching countless youtube videos on piston engine theory, constant speed props, mags, etc). I asked the DME if there were any local prep classes so we will see what he says.

Should I just thoroughly skim these books and then set up my retest (this is the last one that I can afford on minimum wage job).

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234