Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Studying for Oral and Practical

Hi guys,
    About to take my air-frame and general O&P. Curious as to how you guys studied for it? Did you do flash cards or just read the ORAL and practical study guide? Just looking for a few tips so I can be prepared!

Thanks
    David

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Tons of posts on here regarding that, but the sum of them is Highlight correct answer ONLY in your study book. Do NOT read the wrong answers.
    Read them over and over. ONLY Question and Correct Answer

That's what got me through

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    Hi guys,
    About to take my air-frame and general O&P. Curious as to how you guys studied for it? Did you do flash cards or just read the ORAL and practical study guide? Just looking for a few tips so I can be prepared!

Thanks
    David
    Last edited by Steve340; 01-28-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

That is what I did. It's essentially the same as using flash cards, except that there is some risk in subconsciously seeing wrong answers. Flash cards are the way to go, they are even used by air force test pilots when preparing for test flights in new (to them) aircraft.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

That's why they said highlight the question and only the correct answer.
    I killed the writtens, and didn't know it that well, all through Rote.

steve

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    That is what I did. It's essentially the same as using flash cards, except that there is some risk in subconsciously seeing wrong answers. Flash cards are the way to go, they are even used by air force test pilots when preparing for test flights in new (to them) aircraft.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    That's why they said highlight the question and only the correct answer.
    I killed the writtens, and didn't know it that well, all through Rote.

steve
    Steve,

I wasn't referring to the written but the actual oral and practical part of the exam. Already passed my General and Airframe ms have 8 months to get either A or P.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

oh lol

Oral is test questions right from the book.
    Practical can be stupid simple or hell, depending on your guy

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by dmunnings23 View Post
    Steve,

I wasn't referring to the written but the actual oral and practical part of the exam. Already passed my General and Airframe ms have 8 months to get either A or P.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    oh lol

Oral is test questions right from the book.
    Practical can be stupid simple or hell, depending on your guy

Steve
    Steve thanks for the reply. what book are you refering to? the ASA PREPWARE or the DALE CRANE ORAL and PRACTICAL test guides? Thanks

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

The oral is a bitch, I should have failed my Airframe Oral, but the guy realized some people have better memory retention than others.
    He really cut me some slack. Flash cards work, but you have to make the mental association from visual to oral. Actually have someone read you the questions out loud, and not in any specific order. Keep hammering the ones you keep missing and when needed go do the research and understand the material. No one on earth knows all that information after a tech school, and every A&P in the world knows that critical piece of paper is just a license to learn.

S

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by rppearso View Post
    Are the oral questions on the new FAA exam really just questions pulled from the same test bank as the written exams?
    And
    Is there an exhaustive bank of test questions for the oral exam?
    It would appear the answer to your questions is “sort of”. From FAA Order 8900.2B, Chapter 6, Section 2, paragraph 10. Conducting the Tests.
    a. Conducting the Oral Test.
    (1) Oral questions may be used at any time during the practical test.
    (a) For the DME: All oral test questions must be downloaded from the Designee Registration System (DRS) test generator. Results of oral questions must only be recorded as Pass, Fail, or Not Tested. Ask a minimum of four but no more than seven questions in each subject area. (Example: one question missed in the minimum of four required questions equals 75 percent; two questions missed in the minimum of four questions will require an additional three questions to be asked. Provided the applicant did not fail any further questions, the applicant would score 71 percent). The applicant must successfully answer at least 70 percent of the oral questions asked in each subject area. Each subject area must be passed in order to pass a section. Note: All unused generated tests must be destroyed.
    (2) An applicant’s answers to oral questions must show an understanding of the subject and ability to apply knowledge. Do not allow an applicant’s skill of oral expression or ability to memorize details affect oral test evaluation. If necessary, additional exploratory questions may be used to verify the applicant’s understanding of the subject area, but will not be considered as part of the test.
    (3) To determine if the oral questions are answered correctly, the DME must be able to reference information (e.g., manufacturer’s data, ACs, and 14 CFR), and be objective in making the determination.
    (4) Although the answers to the oral questions should be available in the CFRs, manufacturer’s maintenance data, or other aviation related data, the applicant must be able to successfully answer all oral questions without the use of any reference materials.
    I feel like its a different set of questions.
    Like Steve said, “you have to make the mental association from visual to oral.”
    Did he give you any indication on what section(s) you failed?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

It worked for me too, but I know that flash cards are tried and true, and require more thought, and imbed the information in memory in a manner taught through all levels of schooling.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast