Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default What's the best way to pass the exams?

First off thanks for reading
    So I want to obtain my a&p but with my current knowledge I definitely won't pass everything. I have about 6 years of military maintenance experience on just AH-64 helicopters. I would like your guys opinion on the best way to gain more knowledge and receive my license.
    Is going to a two year FAA approved school the best way or is it a bit overkill for someone that already has enough experience to test? Or should I go to one of these two week crash courses and learn what is just needed to pass and hopefully find a job shortly after?
    I definitely want more knowledge but I'm not sure going to school for two years is what I want
    Opinions on anything pertaining to this would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks guys!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I was 4 years avionics instrument systems on fighters in the Air Force, then went through a 2 year program. No regrets.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by phinneysarah View Post
    So I want to obtain my a&p but with my current knowledge I definitely won't pass everything. I have about 6 years of military maintenance experience on just AH-64 helicopters. I would like your guys opinion on the best way to gain more knowledge and receive my license.
    Is going to a two year FAA approved school the best way or is it a bit overkill for someone that already has enough experience to test? Or should I go to one of these two week crash courses and learn what is just needed to pass and hopefully find a job shortly after?
    I definitely want more knowledge but I'm not sure going to school for two years is what I want
    Thanks guys!
    If you have the sign-off just take a test prep course. Going to school first if really ideal but its expensive, time consuming, and you don't get a penny more for the effort. It is really difficult to ever make up for the cost of expensive schools. The industry does not recognize education below upper management.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Without knowing your background. I would go talk to your local FAA FSDO. Bring all of the documentation you have as far as training and experience goes. See if you are eligible to get your testing slips. If you get them sign up for an A&P prep course.

If you don't. There's plenty of work out there to work for the government or Boeing on the AH-64s.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by MC5Wes View Post
    Without knowing your background. I would go talk to your local FAA FSDO. Bring all of the documentation you have as far as training and experience goes. See if you are eligible to get your testing slips. If you get them sign up for an A&P prep course.

If you don't. There's plenty of work out there to work for the government or Boeing on the AH-64s.
    Definitely plenty of work in MFG right now. They pay better than all but the top airlines.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So you definitely felt like it was worth it gaining more knowledge before going into a a&p job. Rather just having the A&p and limited knowledge?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Well I will be able to use my GI bill to pay for all of the course. With knowing that would you still suggest a prep course or two year school?
    I'm just concerned about getting a job and going there with very limited knowledge because I really only learned what it took to pass and I've only worked on Apaches.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So you definitely felt like it was worth it gaining more knowledge before going into a a&p job. Rather just having the A&p and limited knowledge?
    The knowledge you get from school is very general and not specific to any airframe that you are likely to see unless its a single engine Cessna. Most of the work in the field consist of simple tasks that you learn by doing. Having a broad background is nice but not necessary for your daily chores. If you need to make a living then DO NOT go to school because that time and lost wages will be gone forever.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

If you can test out, do it.
    If you have GI Bill, look at Embry Riddle Avionics Degree, this would take you far.
    Ignore Kevbo he hates the field for some reason. First see if you can get your Authorization to test from the FAA, if not and you did avionics, possibly look at going that route, pays great.

Steve

Thanks guys!
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    If you can test out, do it.
    If you have GI Bill, look at Embry Riddle Avionics Degree, this would take you far.
    Ignore Kevbo he hates the field for some reason. First see if you can get your Authorization to test from the FAA, if not and you did avionics, possibly look at going that route, pays great.

Steve
    I don't hate the field but do hate what it did to my life. I try to illistrate the costly pitfalls so new guys won't blindly fall prey as myself and so many others have. Today I'm helping a friend fix an out of rig 182, just for fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast