Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Default Alarus CH-2000 starting problems

So the mechanics I normally use are having a very hard time figuring out this problem. Hoping the collective knowledge of the smartest mechanics in the world can help.

The issue is that it seems we have to let go of the key in order to start the airplane. Any other airplane will fire up naturally and begin running then the person realizes this and almost instantly releases the key and life is good. With this airplane it seems that we have to get a few poofs then release the key and hope it continues to run. The starter circuit breaker generally pops multiple times while trying this and unfortunately the majority of the successful starts on this aircraft happen when the circuit breaker pops and the timing was just right that the engine continued to run. This started happening right after changing a starter and doing some work to a relay and replacing the circuit breaker.

It seems that the problem is with the starter but I'm just a dumb pilot and the mechanics seem to be ok with it being extremely difficult to start.

Any ideas?

THANKS!

Michael

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Any time something like that happens after maintenance you have to backtrack and make sure what was done is ok. And, unfortunently, we get bad parts out of stock too frequently. You don't consider an intermittent starter an safety of flight issue?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I was trying to find some miracle diagnosis that the mechanics looking at the aircraft haven't thought of. From my untrained point of view it seems that a replacement starter is needed but that's not whats been done so I'm lost and confused. And no, Its not a safety of flight issue.

Thank!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

So, if the engine quits in flight, for whatever reason, and you can't even attempt a restart because the breaker keeps popping, thats not a safety of flight issue?

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by PrayAviation View Post
    I was trying to find some miracle diagnosis that the mechanics looking at the aircraft haven't thought of.
    Isolate the starter, meaning disconnect it. Then, attempt a start, of course nothing should happen, if the breaker pops you know the problem isn't the starter. If the breaker pops isolate the relay and try again, maybe you got a bad breaker from stock. Swap it with another breaker of same rating. Good luck.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 02-09-2018 at 05:42 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count
    OzzModz Classifieds

Sounds like 2 problems

Here is how I would handle it.

Disconnect P-Leads and battery cables, turn the switch to start position. Ensure the Ignition switch is not grounding the mags.
    Then I would keep the P-leads off hook up the battery and start the plane. See what difference that makes.

The Breaker issue is either a bad breaker, a corroded terminal, the wrong cables, a bad ground between the engine and the mount. Also could be in the battery to Solenoid wiring if it is a rear mounted battery. I use an inductive ammeter to see the amp draw during start. If your pegging out at 600 amps, probably have a bad starter.
    My intuition tells me you have a bad starter or end connector and a bad ignition switch. But the above is how I would determine that fix.

Steve

QUOTE=GlennAB1;26570]Isolate the starter, meaning disconnect it. Then, attempt a start, of course nothing should happen, if the breaker pops you know the problem isn't the starter. If the breaker pops isolate the relay and try again, maybe you got a bad breaker from stock. Swap it with another breaker of same rating. Good luck.[/QUOTE]
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression