Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Trans states is the go-to out of my school, and they just bumped starting pay up to 17.10 with 3k sign on. Not a lot, but clearly they're in need of mechanics.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by dkdesimone View Post
    Trans states is the go-to out of my school, and they just bumped starting pay up to 17.10 with 3k sign on. Not a lot, but clearly they're in need of mechanics.
    That would be acceptable pay if a decent local house was under $70K.
    Last edited by kevbo; 04-02-2018 at 04:14 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Dude we're starting guys here between 35 and 38 an hour and several of us are in the mid 40s. No one here brings in less than $100k a year. The pay is going up.... Hell I know guys that got hired in at gulfstream fresh outta AP school at $19 14 months ago and their already at $25
    Dude you are so full of it. No one is starting people off at mid 30s at a maintenance facility let alone making mid 40s maybe if your are a 25 year vet at Delta or something but no this is not true. mid 20s is the norm. I was born at night not last night!

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Fabunchofairplanes View Post
    Dude you are so full of it. No one is starting people off at mid 30s at a maintenance facility let alone making mid 40s maybe if your are a 25 year vet at Delta or something but no this is not true. mid 20s is the norm. I was born at night not last night!
    You're obviously still in the dark then dude. You don't need to be at a major airline to bring in that kind of money. Corporate AOG has been in that pay range forever. It's hard to get into but it's not impossible.
    Last edited by brettboat; 04-20-2018 at 03:03 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Fabunchofairplanes View Post
    Where I'm at, new A&P's start at $35.29 And I'm at $63.52, and not Delta.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by GlennAB1 View Post
    Where I'm at, new A&P's start at $35.29 And I'm at $63.52, and not Delta.
    I think you could find help significantly cheaper. My current employer has an artificially inflated payscale because of dot. Gov contracts. I am patiently waiting for A&P wages to rise for guys that punch a clock. I'm looking for an acceptable wage floor. I know a couple of guys that are covered with work at $90hr. There is lots of $$$$ to be made if you can hustle your own business for sure. Right now in the DFW metroplex, it is hard to find reliable helpers for less than 25/hr, a good mechanic wants considerabley more because they can get it doing something else. The recent wage increases are looking like a blow off top. Hopefully wages will rise high enough so they will still be liveablle after the enevitable correction.
    Last edited by kevbo; 04-20-2018 at 10:11 PM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Ill believe it when wages start to rise like they did in 1999. Right now everyone is busy but nobody wants to pay.
    If you have skills, you can write your own ticket. I don't know where you are getting this information, but it is not correct.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

Quote Originally Posted by Left Bank View Post
    If you have skills, you can write your own ticket. I don't know where you are getting this information, but it is not correct.
    I know that I can get $90/hr if I find the customers. The overhead involved cuts that number by more than half unless I work out of my car for cash. All the advertised jobs are offering 18-24/hr, even majors have low starting wages. I need to start at least $40/hr with a good benefit package in order to make a lateral move out of my crappy manufacturing job. From the very beginning, working as an A&P required me taking a pay cut. My only mechanic job that was a clear cut improvement was Delta at DFW. That requires over 20yrs seniority anymore. I'm not sure what skills you are refering to, A&P work is pretty basic stuff.
    Last edited by kevbo; 04-26-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I know that I can get $90/hr if I find the customers. The overhead involved cuts that number by more than half unless I work out of my car for cash. All the advertised jobs are offering 18-24/hr, even majors have low starting wages. I need to start at least $40/hr with a good benefit package in order to make a lateral move out of my crappy manufacturing job. From the very beginning, working as an A&P required me taking a pay cut. My only mechanic job that was a clear cut improvement was Delta at DFW. That requires over 20yrs seniority anymore. I'm not sure what skills you are refering to, A&P work is pretty basic stuff.
    Sheet metal, composite, NDI/NDT, Type specific aircraft experience, etc. Those are called SKILLS, and they are NOT pretty basic stuff. To me, it sounds like you don't have much experience, or maybe it is just GA experience, or you have been out of aviation for a long time. You seem unaware of where to look for the good jobs or you don't want to move. I may be wrong, but that seems to me how you come across.

Gallery Count
    Comment Count

I obviously don't know where the "good jobs" are. I do composites now, before that I maintained DC9, MD80-90, B727, 737, 757, 767. And NO, Im not going to move for another maintenance job! I quit Delta for that reason.
    Well, there is your reason for not succeeding at finding a decent paying job. It's You, not the industry.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast