Welcome to the Aircraft Mechanics Forum.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 53
  1. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Dude we're starting guys here between 35 and 38 an hour and several of us are in the mid 40s. No one here brings in less than $100k a year. The pay is going up.... Hell I know guys that got hired in at gulfstream fresh outta AP school at $19 14 months ago and their already at $25
    Thats good, its the first time this has happened since 2001. Ill jump as soon as I can get an easy 100k in the DFW metroplex using my A&P. The 19-25/hr range is about right for fresh meat. Delta hired an 18yo and payed him $27 after 6 months, that was 18 years ago. The only thing that worries me is when it get this good, the end is always near.
    Last edited by kevbo; 03-11-2018 at 06:33 AM.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    1,158
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Thats good, its the first time this has happened since 2001. Ill jump as soon as I can get an easy 100k in the DFW metroplex using my A&P. The 19-25/hr range is about right for fresh meat. Delta hired an 18yo and payed him $27 after 6 months, that was 18 years ago. The only thing that worries me is when it get this good, the end is always near.
    Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Aviation is in a boom now but take into account that the techs are getting old... Really old. The average age is rapidly becoming 50s and 60s. As you know big money in aviation is a young mans game

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettboat View Post
    Maybe it is, maybe it isn't. Aviation is in a boom now but take into account that the techs are getting old... Really old. The average age is rapidly becoming 50s and 60s. As you know big money in aviation is a young mans game
    Brett, you are making money because EVERYONE else is making money right now. You have little competition because so many mechanics have found greener grass. Everything is in a boom right now, our economy is in one of its longest expansions in history. Do you really think it will last forever? All of those old mechanics are the just ones who stayed in the industry, for whatever reason. There are plenty out there, tens of thousands, waiting for wages and working conditions to rise to an acceptable level. They WILL come flooding back once the job pays better than their current one. The FAA is currently being pressured to eliminate the time/experience requirements for getting an A&P. Industry wants to let kids take a couple of months of gen/fam courses and call it an A&P. I bet they get what they want. And always remember, ANYONE can do the work if needed!

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sin City
    Posts
    1,158
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Brett, you are making money because EVERYONE else is making money right now. You have little competition because so many mechanics have found greener grass. Everything is in a boom right now, our economy is in one of its longest expansions in history. Do you really think it will last forever? All of those old mechanics are the just ones who stayed in the industry, for whatever reason. There are plenty out there, tens of thousands, waiting for wages and working conditions to rise to an acceptable level. They WILL come flooding back once the job pays better than their current one. The FAA is currently being pressured to eliminate the time/experience requirements for getting an A&P. Industry wants to let kids take a couple of months of gen/fam courses and call it an A&P. I bet they get what they want. And always remember, ANYONE can do the work if needed!
    I respectfully disagree.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,592
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Jesus H Christ Kevbo

    Dude, your Toxic to this board. I don't mind a dissenting opinion, but your on a mission.
    Please find somewhere else to spout your dissatisfaction of your career as an A&P. Id recommend some boards on Airliners.net I just cant have this anymore. I am not going to ban you, I want you to go voluntarily and find somewhere else to spout this garbage.

    S

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    Brett, you are making money because EVERYONE else is making money right now. You have little competition because so many mechanics have found greener grass. Everything is in a boom right now, our economy is in one of its longest expansions in history. Do you really think it will last forever? All of those old mechanics are the just ones who stayed in the industry, for whatever reason. There are plenty out there, tens of thousands, waiting for wages and working conditions to rise to an acceptable level. They WILL come flooding back once the job pays better than their current one. The FAA is currently being pressured to eliminate the time/experience requirements for getting an A&P. Industry wants to let kids take a couple of months of gen/fam courses and call it an A&P. I bet they get what they want. And always remember, ANYONE can do the work if needed!
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    438
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve340 View Post
    Jesus H Christ Kevbo

    Dude, your Toxic to this board. I don't mind a dissenting opinion, but your on a mission.
    Please find somewhere else to spout your dissatisfaction of your career as an A&P. Id recommend some boards on Airliners.net I just cant have this anymore. I am not going to ban you, I want you to go voluntarily and find somewhere else to spout this garbage.

    S
    OK Steve, Ill pass the torch. I have been spreading the gospel far and wide and the response is either total agreement or cognitive dissonance. A conversation that is easy to have with a former mechanic/pilot gets the current ones all spooled up. I never was one to defend a bad decision once it became obvious...........Peace.............
    Last edited by kevbo; 03-14-2018 at 09:12 PM.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,225
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Cognitive dissonance... yeah, I can see that in you.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    3,592
    Gallery Count
    26
    Comment Count
    0
    OzzModz Classifieds
    2

    Default

    Hope you find peace man.

    Steve

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    OK Steve, Ill pass the torch. I have been spreading the gospel far and wide and the response is either total agreement or cognitive dissonance. A conversation that is easy to have with a former mechanic/pilot gets the current ones all spooled up. I never was one to defend a bad decision once it became obvious...........Peace.............
    You never have a second chance, to make a first impression

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    3
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kevbo View Post
    The only easy way into aviation maintenance is by starting at an passenger or freight airline before you commit to school.
    Doing what exactly?

    Also what are some things I can or should educate myself on before heading to school? Like in the sense of a headstart.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,225
    Gallery Count
    0
    Comment Count
    0

    Default

    By being a rampie. Example, like, loading freight or baggage. Valid point, because once you are an employee you may be able to bid internally on open positions before they open up for external applicants.

    Read A.C. 43.13-1B & 2B, they are online at the FAA website as well as other... Those will be required at A&P school.
    Last edited by GlennAB1; 03-24-2018 at 12:03 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast